engine and intake manifold question

isa423

street freaks
so i bought a 96 rs a while ago and it came with a gsr swap. what im confused about was the guy said it had a type r intake manifold so knowing that it doesnt bolt up i assumed it had a itr head. out of no where it came back in my mind and i decided to check it out again just now and read the code on head and it said it was a p72-1 making it a gsr head....not sure if its mickey moused to fit or what but just really curious now how they got it to fit and if it is going to give me problems because i have my old stock gsr IM that i have laying around from my old dc2

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Judging by the way the bolts fit and that youre saying its a gsr head, is probably a skunk gen1 manifold or blox. Theyre copies of the itr manifold with gsr bolt pattern. Ill guess skunk gen 1 cus i havent seen a blox manifold where it bolts up, up close.

Ramatan i dont understand your reply to his post. Gsr and itr not the same bolt pattern.

Last edited:

isa423

street freaks
Judging by the way the bolts fit and that youre saying its a gsr head, is probably a skunk gen1 manifold or blox. Theyre copies of the itr manifold with gsr bolt pattern. Ill guess skunk gen 1 cus i havent seen a blox manifold where it bolts up, up close.

Ramatan i dont understand your reply to his post.
it did come with a blox 68mm TB so maybe your right cause i was also feeling around the IM and couldnt find the engraving that says p72, p73...ect.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Any b series throbble bottle will work on a b series manifold so no that is not an indication to what type it is. But its definately not oem itr manifold. You can google identifying 'marks', most likely marks made from casting to help idenitify which manufacturer its from.

Being sluggish is a result of design that isnt set up for the gsr everything else. To run it optimally you will need a tune or temporarly run a ecu thats vtec non gsr (ie b16 or type r). The difference is the gsr uses a dual stage manifold and is tuned to run on that but b16 and type r uses a single runner manifold tuned respectively. You change the breathing and you change how it performs without programming in the changes.

That 68mm tb probably contributes to the sluggishness. You dont know if its port matched and even so you dont have any supporting mods for the air flow im guessing. All stock except for that mod?

Last edited:

isa423

street freaks
no i know the tb is no indication of what IM it is but i though maybe they bought it as a combo if it was blox. but ill definatly look it up and see just what kind it really is. and im already looking into getting a p73 ecu because what i have right now is a p72 and a vergin obd1 p28 that im trying to trade or sell. and im waiting on my friends brother in law to get a good look at my teg since he is a honda certified tech and look at it from head to toe and tell just what is up with the car

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
A p73 will do to help you run it for now but you ultimately want to tune it if you want the maps to be correct for your setup otherwise you are just running it 'improperly', a/f etc. If the engines good, the manifold untuned is the reason is running sluggish, guaranteed. The mechanic can tell you if its in good shape or not if he does tests for you but other than that, nothing he can do unless he can tune it. Have him do whatever he can test/inspection wise for motors health and run the p73 til you can do more.

I had a skunk2 manifold on another gsr and went back to the stock manifold. Running that skunk2 on my gsr now. Since it seems to be unfamiliar to you, you have a decision to make.. to keep it on or go back to stock manifold. To determine that answer consider what your goal for the car is.

isa423

street freaks
well on my other integra i was running a skunk2 manifold and liked it and i know it needs a tune to have it running properly. but supposedly the engine was rebuilt a while ago but after the mechanic checks it out and the engine isnt as healthy as the guy who sold it to me says i think i might sell or trade it. its not that i cant fix it or anything but the fact that it being my dd and need it to go to school and work and the only car i have access to it may be over my head on the build right now. but if it is good then ill find a p73 till i save up enough for a tune

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Was the other integra a gsr? If it wasnt then you wont really notice sluggishness. Its a difference in the way the manifold was designed and the maps were programmed.

Yeah id wait for the results of compression etc before deciding what to do with it.

ramatan

Ramatan i dont understand your reply to his post. Gsr and itr not the same bolt pattern.
i was thinking of the b16 head sorry

isa423

street freaks
Was the other integra a gsr? If it wasnt then you wont really notice sluggishness. Its a difference in the way the manifold was designed and the maps were programmed.

Yeah id wait for the results of compression etc before deciding what to do with it.
at first it was an ls but blow the head gasket and ended up swapoing in a gsr but still had my ls tranny cause i ran out of cash but still felt lie i would pull more even with the long ratio then later on swapped it for a b16 tranny before it got stolen. but with this set up on the new teg feels slow. you can feel the torque when shifting gears but then after it feels like the it takes forever to rev up...not sure if its in my mind since with the b16 tranny i was running a 12lbs flywheel and now going back to stock with a gsr tranny it feels slower or that there is actually something up with my set up. but well see what happens

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
So essentially you had a skunk manifold on a gsr in the other car with both the ls tranny then the b16. Its probably just in your head and something you didnt notice as much before because the ls tranny will be slow anyway and the b16 will feel a lot better than the gsr because of close gear ratio. And maybe the ecu was not a p72 gsr map? Anyhow, its definately the reason you feel sluggishness now. As for any other reasons that might be adding to it.. youll have to check those out.