engine bore

gsr_boarder

just got word that my engine is being rebuilt....im getting all new pistons rods etc and to fix the imperfections in the block im gettin them bored out a bit so i would assume a little larger pistons to compensate for the change......anyone know how much hp i might get even if its just a litle like a 1.9 or 2.0 L instead of the stock 1.8.....its in a 96 gsr

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I wouldn't call boring out the B18C to a 1.9 or to 2.0 "a little", that's actually quite a bit, that's major boring. A little bit would be .25mm or.50mm. I don't know how much power you'd gain, but any boring wouldn't hurt a bit. Boring out gives you more of what our little engines need most, displacement, which increases power across the board. HP and TQ go up at every point along the rpm range. Bore out too much and you'll need to get the block sleeved, which will be hundreds of dollars to do and you better hope the guy doing it knows how to do it right.

gsr_boarder

TegSox said:
I wouldn't call boring out the B18C to a 1.9 or to 2.0 "a little", that's actually quite a bit, that's major boring. A little bit would be .25mm or.50mm. I don't know how much power you'd gain, but any boring wouldn't hurt a bit. Boring out gives you more of what our little engines need most, displacement, which increases power across the board. HP and TQ go up at every point along the rpm range. Bore out too much and you'll need to get the block sleeved, which will be hundreds of dollars to do and you better hope the guy doing it knows how to do it right.
ya i didn't really know what was considered a large bore...their doing it to correct the piston damage or somethin so im guessing its not gonna be dramatic but they said their gonna bore all the cylinders the same so im guessing even if it isn't much it will give me a little extra power. i was hoping they weren't gonna bore it too much otherwise like you said....block sleeves...which aren't cheap

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I think i would go with a .5, and drop some cp pistons in there. With a nice 11:1 compression ratio.

gsr_boarder

Ominous G2 said:
I think i would go with a .5, and drop some cp pistons in there. With a nice 11:1 compression ratio.
ya i'de love to go with some upgrades but it isn't my money and they bought like a straight up engine part kit with new pistons, rods, bearings,crankshaft, everything so i don't know what pistons are gonna be put in there

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
gsr_boarder said:
their doing it to correct the piston damage or somethin so im guessing its not gonna be dramatic but they said their gonna bore all the cylinders the same so im guessing even if it isn't much it will give me a little extra power. i was hoping they weren't gonna bore it too much otherwise like you said....block sleeves...which aren't cheap
The intended purpose of boring cylinders is to remove cylinder wall damage, because they need to be perfectly smooth and symmetrical to achieve proper compression. Piston to wall clearance is measured in thousandths of an inch, it has to be exactly right for piston rings to seal correctly, which affects everything from engine power output to exhaust emissions. But some people (like me :) ) just do it for a little added displacement, an easy power increase if your replacing factory pistons with aftermarket pistons anyway. Whatever it was that did in your engine caused cylinder wall damage, so they're boring the cylinders out to remove the damage. They more than likely won't be boring it out so much that it'll need to be sleeved, for almost the same money you could just get a new block. I believe the most they can bore them out and still use stock pistons is .50mm over factory bore, maybe 0.75mm. Honda makes oversized factory pistons just for this purpose. Oversized stock GSR pistons is more than likely what you'll be getting. Same compression ratio, just a touch more displacement.