engine degreasing and cleaning ???? help.

treybombRW

Hey i have a 92 integra ls and the engine is really greasy/ dusty and it has never been cleaned. i want to clean it but i am not sure if there are any precautions i should take. should i cover electric components and the alternator and distributor? or is it safe enough to just spray engine degreaser on the entire engine bay? any info about this would be great.

rdubya

Hey i have a 92 integra ls and the engine is really greasy/ dusty and it has never been cleaned. i want to clean it but i am not sure if there are any precautions i should take. should i cover electric components and the alternator and distributor? or is it safe enough to just spray engine degreaser on the entire engine bay? any info about this would be great.
I can't say specifically about an Integra, but in the past I've cover fuse boxes and other electrical stuff first, then took my time to spray only where needed. If I were you, I'd just spray the block, then use something like Purple Power and a rag and get all the other stuff just to be safe. Hope I'm of some help!

Ricky

JGvtec

Like he said above. Cover wires, distributor, alternator, spark plugs, intake, battery. You can cover them with either tin foil or a plastic bag.

You don't need a really strong stream of water. Just a light coating then spray the de greaser. Its very helpful to have a assortment of different brushes to get into the nooks and cranny's. After you have cleaned everything wash it down with another light coating of water, then either wipe down the area's by hand or use an air hose. I think it would be smart to just air hose it off then wipe the excess down. Then once your all done if you want to spray some NON SILICONE BASED dressing on the rubber parts you can do so.

CheddaC

i def need to clean mine when it gets warmer out. i was gonna use my power washer im a lil nervous tho cuz i seen on here somewere that someone posted they power washed there engine and it wont start

00DC2TW

Just a heads up what dealerships do when they are done with a major service, at least Honda/Acura... When done with a service, if the engine has no aftermarket intake, etc. they will just spray degreaser in your bay, then spray it off without covering anything. If you know not to hold the spray gun on the electrical components, your car will be fine. The places that get really greasy/dirty aren't usually very close to electrical components.

Prozon

Kris
I've pressure washed my engine bay more then once. Never had an issue there.
Worth case scenario you get your distributor wet and need to wait for it to dry out.
(Also don't do it with the engine HOT.)

Exige24

Yeah, I've pressure washed mine too. As long as you don't directly spray the electrical parts, a little over spray will not hurt anything. At most your have a little miss fires in your distributor until it dries out. Make sure all the heads are on tight before you do it and like I said, don't spray directly on it and you should be fine.

I used the Simple Green Automotive degreaser. It works great and it wont harm a pet if they accidentally get into it.

After I spray the degreaser on and scrub it, I usually just rinse it off with the hose. Just use a nozzle with a tight stream and don't spray electrical components directly and you'll be fine.

I used to work at a Honda shop and for factory services we used a spray nozzle that was pressure fed a mixture of water and Simple Green. Worked great.

The components aren't so susceptible to water that a mist will run them. When you drive in the rain, water gets throw up into the engine bay. So a little wont kill you.