engine install

John C

Hey, new here. I am in the middle of an engine install, helping my son. He bought a 94 hatch vtec around 2 years ago and after about a year or so, the engine popped. Most likely a spun bearing. Anyway, we (me, him, and his Dad, I'm the step dad) pulled the engine out, removed all of the parts but block, head, cams, and sent off to get rebuilt. We get it back, re-install all parts, put back in car, and (miraculously) it starts. The problem is, it gets to around 2K rpms and then dies. We have talked with a few folks and they say it has to do with the computer. How do I get around this so it will drive like normal? Thanks in advance for any help!

John C

Thanks for the welcome. It actually dies. Looking at my post, I may not have been completely clear. It will start right up and idle perfectly. It is a matter of getting up to speed to shift from 1st to 2nd and so on. I may not have mentioned but it has a manual trans. It is as if either the gas or the spark is suddenly restricted. Quick background on car. Son bought if from a guy that stripped it. No power steering, no a/c,etc (This probably sounds familiar) Could not talk him out of buying the car. (also probably sounds familiar) Nothing against AI’s but I just think this particular one was already “used up.” All that being said, he has it now so I want to help him get it running again. And I know that it is hard to diagnose a problem w/o being right there but if you (anyone) can “see” something that we are missing, that would be great.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
yeh,you never know wats been done:(check the TPS andyou wiring

eg6ie

tps also has the same plug as the map. try switching the plugs on the top and back of the throttle body.