Engine light on

taiger111

hi, i am buying an integra 1995 gsr rebuilt 18Bc1 engine.

The engine light is on, and a guy who is selling the car said,

"its because aftermarket manifold, and exhaust, there is no o2 sensor."

Then i found this item,

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/ez-cel-fix-oxygen-sensor-simulator/acura/integra/1-8l

Does this solve the problem(engine light is on) if engine light is on because of missing o2 sensor?

what is the bad consequence of not solving this issue at this moment?

can it be also caused by other problems?

is it worth to put this item first?

or should i bring to a mechanic and let him diagnose it?

thanks

cvcrcr99

no one will be able to tell since we cannot pull the codes. Sounds like you need a code reader, or just to take this to a mechanic. Sounds like a hacked apart car. Walk away from it.

Army74D

gtavila_
Some (if not all) local auto parts stores will scan the car for codes.. Pull the code, then come back and post your findings. Could be an easy fix, could be a huge headache and bank breaker. There's no way of telling without the code(s).

*And personally, I wouldn't mess with that o2 sensor eliminator crap. It won't be hard, or expensive, to get a good o2 sensor installed the right way.

Last edited:

taiger111

thanks.

I have contacted a few muffler shop about checking up and also installing a normal exhaust system(that it comes with the car).
I will go to the shop this tue, wen, or thurdsday.

Physh1

I wouldn't buy that car unless a) it was $100 bucks & you had lots of extra cash to fix it or b) you're itching for headaches.

If you live somewhere that has smog tests it will fail. You need to pull the codes & find the fix for each. Considering he's not done mods like the exhaust right there is no telling what else has been done incorrectly.

I'd find a better car to buy unless option a or b fit.

Cameron

taiger111

The smog was passed on 11/10/13 so, there is no problem for passing smog or not.

What i dont like about it is the SOund of aftermarket muffler, it is very irritating to my ears after long drive.

I am letting a mechanic to put a normal exhaust system with catalytic converter and o2 sensor as soon as i can.

OneFastGSR

Remove the side panel by the ECU and there should be a jumper plug with either a brown and black wire or a brown and green/white wire, loop a paper clip into both holes on the connector (With the key off), Turn the ignition on, The check engine light should start flashing, If it stays on for 1 second at a time it'll be 10, If it flashes for half a second that means 1, See how many times it flashes and how long each flash is, Add it up and that's the code. See what the code is and that will tell you what's wrong, If the check engine light flashes twice at 1 second each, that means 20, Than if it flashes 3 more times for half a second each flash, It means it would be code 23.

taiger111

THanks, OneFastGSR.

Actually i went to let a guy check out aftermarket muffler, then he sent me to his mechanic.

This mechanic did the same thing that you mentioned above.

There are 2 codes 1 for O2 sensor, and the other for NO sensor( something like that he said NOCKs) ]

I asked how much it costs all together and it was quite expensive, so i asked if engine worked fine without them, he said yes, so i left the muffler like that.

dont know if it is a good idea. I have a smog 2 years later, I have now valid smog certification within 90days of previous owner.

A mechanic told me to fix this all up on normal muffler for next smog test since Manifold is not CA certified, i need to replace it with another one which is certified in CA.

I found out the interior of back passenger side was popping out, that is the cause of sounds going inside, so After fixing this,

the sound is not that loud, i can drive it without problems.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
The O2 sensor shouldn't be the problem, it's a $100 and it will take about 30min to finish an install (assuming that the connector and the wires are still intact)
The other code is the knock sensor, that's where most of the costs probably are.