engine maintinence time

k624ash

I think have to replace my water pump, im having some issues. And i should replace the timing belt fo sho, i dont know when it was done last if ever. Im also doing a new trans clutch and flywheel soon, not to mention a brake booster.

I compression tested my motor not to long ago and it did pretty poorly, so im wondering if i should try and correct that too while i have everything apart, so i guess that would mean piston rings? how much would that cost me? and that would mean headgasket and studs i guess.

So this has me thinking maybe i should just ride my motor till it dies and get a gsr or something, rather than put all that money into an ls that isnt worth the amount i would spend.

so my questions are
A. do you think i should wait till my motor dies and hope i have enough money by then?
B. should i do only the belt and water pump and not worry about anything else and then go with option A?
C. if i do the belt and pump where is good to buy from? does a gsr/type r pump work with my motor? and is it better than an ls pump?

and while im at it i guess ill describe the symptoms of my motor that make me think the water pump is going
My car overeats when i sit at idle for a while, like in traffic or at a light, also when my car is sitting heat will stop coming out the vents.
however if i rev the motor it will cool down and heat will come out again. This makes me think that the pump isnt fully working and need the extra rpms in order to move my coolant.

bye the way my brother has a b18b block so i could probaly build or rebuild that one and put it in my car to reduce downtime.
i would like to turbo in the future so if im gonna be rebuilding a motor i would want to just build it for turbo. buit i wouldnt want to go low compression since i will have to drive it for a while before i can afford a turbo

so im all mixed up about what to do, please give me your opinions.

k624ash

i probaly should have titled that diferently but i sorta went off track from what i was originaly planning on posting

Sirfallsalot243

If you decide to rebuild the B18B block, I would rebuild it to factory specs. Use ARP rod bolts and head studs, with an oem 3 layer head gasket. That should be good for plenty of power. If you want more than 300 or so, look into forged internals.

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
well i just ordered up my timing belt, water pump as well as all the drive belts, valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, alternator brushes and pcv valve. i should get it all sometimes this week. but hey, keep good maintainence on the car. just worry about the timing belt and the water pump for now. i believe that you can put the gsr/type r water pump on but the only benefits are the smaller fins which moves coolant better during higher rpms. i would just stick with the standard water pump for now. the pump and belt by itslef ran $160 with free shipping from AUTOPARTSWORLD.COM they are the cheapest out of 6 places that I checked so I got everything from them.

k624ash

Sirfallsalot243 said:
If you decide to rebuild the B18B block, I would rebuild it to factory specs. Use ARP rod bolts and head studs, with an oem 3 layer head gasket. That should be good for plenty of power. If you want more than 300 or so, look into forged internals.
i might actualy go for around 300, maybe a little over. If i build should i stick with the stock pistons? how do you feel about slightly higher compression with a small turbo?
If i build i want it to be reliable and i want to build on the safe side, rather have the motor built to take more abuse than i give it rather than the other way around.

When you change piston rings to you need to rehone or anything?

Sirfallsalot243

k624ash said:
i might actualy go for around 300, maybe a little over. If i build should i stick with the stock pistons? how do you feel about slightly higher compression with a small turbo?
If i build i want it to be reliable and i want to build on the safe side, rather have the motor built to take more abuse than i give it rather than the other way around.

When you change piston rings to you need to rehone or anything?
If your goal is 300+ i would do forged internals. I would also go with the stock compression ratio, but you can raise it if you want.

And yes, any time the pistons come out, the block should be honed.

k624ash

i think im gonna replace the timing belt and water pump, then start saving for turbo. I will worry about building it later on