engine newbie need help

thon

newbie here... need help in my engine noise problem... what part is this... i think this parts are not supposed to be moving... check each one of those and i got 10 of them loose and the other 6 are tight... i guess these are the reason why my engine has a crackling sound... are these adjustable or do i need to replace them... TIA

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Hmm....that's part of your lifter assembly. I don't mess with too many LS heads but I have one downstairs that I can look at and see for you. Let me check and i'll get back wtih you. You'll have to wait for a commercial, I'm watching gladiator.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The bottom bolt, the 14mm(I believe) is supposed to be tight. I don't know if there's a torque spec on it because, well I can't see how you would torque it down. The nut on top with the screwdriver slot is for adjusting the lifter(valves) so after tightening those bottom nuts that hold the lifters in you will want to get a set of feeler guages and an adjustment tool and do a valve job, it's not that hard on these motors and if you don't know how when you get to that point make a thread and someone will be able to help you out.

thon

thanks for the info... so if i adjust the lifter valves, would it make them tighter that would stop them from making crackling noise, how would i know if they need to be replaced...

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Honda Lifters very rarely go bad. My case is that with the bottom nut ( the one that suports your lifter) loose, that is what is causing the majority of the noise. But those are not the adjustment, all that is is a special nut that your lifter sits in. The top nut, like I explained before is the one that you will use to adjust your lifter/valve. Just crank the bottom nut down, that is very dangerous to be loose.

thon

in this image... the #1 and #3 nut is tight, but when i hold it in nut #1 and wiggle it, you can see the movement of the part #2, so if this is the case, i only need a tappet adjustment? i just wanna make sure, sorry if i am just repeating what i asked.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Oh fuck dude, now I know what your saying. Those are your lifters, they're supposed to be loose. the ones that are tight are because those are the ones that are open(the cam is against them) If your getting noise under the hood you might just want to do a valve job then.

thon

what do you mean valve job... it sounds expensive... but why 10pcs of them are loose and 6pcs of them are tight and dont even move when i wiggle them....

thon

when my engine is cold the crackling sound is high, but when its not the sound is minimal... and my car runs good, no problems at all...

thon

maybe crackling word is not the right one to use, yeah maybe ticking but lots of them and loud during cold start...

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If it is coming from the head then it could be the lifters. If a valve has something to say it will "usually" say it the whole time. Lifters will tap when cold but go away once they warm up