Engine Option's ~Need Opinions~

Peeples

Hey CL! Been awhile since I've posted but I do look over the forums every once in awhile.

I have a 96 LS with a b18b1 with 225,xxx miles and its been an amazing car but its getting old, needs a little more power, and a little more RELIABILITY.

Engine wise the only modifications I have are I/H/E; however, Its lowered on kyb and skunk2 struts and springs (adjustable), block camber kit (front), block LCA's, blox short shifter and skunk2 knob and some other stuff i can't think of.

Im in college and I'm playing baseball so I need an engine that is going to last and be the most reliable.

"Basically my question is what would be your opinion if you were in my situation would you rebuild the motor, ls/vtec with new internals, b18c1, or any other options.

(I plan on getting all new bushings, motor mounts, clutch and fly wheel also)

Thanks for your time and opinions!

zack11122

Well do you born oil or coolant? Do you have a knock? Basically why do you want to rebuild or swap?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

imchongx3

I'm not in your situation but I think I'd probably take the budget into account more than anything. If you have enough to spend for an entire swap I don't see a reason not to. If you don't, then just rebuild what you do have. You could even save a few bucks utilizing the pieces that are still in good shape.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Ls/vtec isn't cost effective if your on a budget.

There's plumbing to do, chipping, tuning, parts to source, everything vtec in my opinion is overpriced.

The greatest reliability would be to remain stock, whether it's swapping a complete motor or rebuilding your current one.

A personal build for me would be...

B18b1

SRI
4-2-1 header
Straight pipe w/ high flow cat and resonator into varex muffler (built in electric valve to control noise)
Supertech valvetrain
Forged internals 9.5:1 CPR
Oem crank- polished and knife edged
Oem flywheel- lightened and balanced
Skunk2 cams
Walbro 225lph fuel pump

That's all I would do, drive it for half a year while saving $$$

Then proceed to turbocharge

I wouldn't swap a motor unless I scored one for cheap.
Vtec equipped motors = more money

Beside, I ran my 3.2 200hp acura legend 5mt at 200k miles when purchased to 355k when sold.
I had it for 3 years, I don't know let mileage scare me.

Just check compression regularly, valve lash when necessary.

Peeples

Don Julio: I hear ya there! I think your right, I'm just going to check compression and other minor things and run it til it dies!

zack11122: I don't think its a knock, I just think its just the value springs need to be replaced and some other minor things but no oil or coolant or anything is being burned. Run's great just needs a clutch and fly wheel.