engine questions...noob here

sonicvybe

new driver
I don't know much about engines. I have a fairly stock 1998 SiR-G and I want to keep the engine well maintained.

Car is 12 years old now so what needs to be done? Any advice welcome...

1. Do you have to pull the engine to change timing belt?

2. If so, would it make any sense to replace engine mounts/bushings with stiffer ones? Bushings/mounts or both?

3. Would it make any sense to go with a stronger timing belt vs OEM? I see greddy makes a belt...

4. Worth replacing valve cover gasket set? I figure gaskets are something that can wear..yes?

5. Already changed my distributer cap/rotor...should I buy a keep a bunch of NGK sparks and wires to keep handy?

6. How often should you change plugs/wires?

Last edited:

YamzinHa

Well im kind of a noob myself, but i know you dont have to pull the Engine to change the timing belt. You can just remove your head. After you remove it though you gotta get a new head gasket. Ill leave the rest to the pros :>

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
1. NO. Get a haynes or chilton manual and they will have a step by step process of what to do. Basically you jack up the side of the car the the timing belt is on and break your crannkshaft bolt loose and blah blah blah. Haynes explains it with better detail and pics ;)

2. Its not necessary unless yours are worn out. If you want to upgrade, do it. It obviously won't hurt.

3. Unless you want to do it for bling, I dont see a point for your application.

4. Anytime you pull the valve cover off, you should put a new gasket on. Its a good practice to follow. And yes they do wear out.

5. Plug wires don't go bad THAT often. Get a set; put em on; and sit back, relax, and profile 8)

6. I dont have a time frame off the top of my head, if you start to lose spark, you can do a series of tests to deterine what the problem is and if you determine your plug wires are bad, then its time to change them lol

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Well im kind of a noob myself, but i know you dont have to pull the Engine to change the timing belt. You can just remove your head. After you remove it though you gotta get a new head gasket. Ill leave the rest to the pros :>
You do not have to remove the head.... IDK why you'd do that :lol: