Engine rebuild or swap???

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
hi guys,thanks for helping me with the Acura's fuel pump problem,now it starts perfectly

Unfortunately,after i fixed the fuel pump problem,i found out that Both the piston Rings and Head gasket are GONE!,and i was thinking whether to replace the engine or rebuild it,but i really don't know which one would be cheaper (cash tight)!!!

Any suggestions,anyone (this B18A1 sucks all fuel,oil and water Like never before,and it's getting a little bit on my nerves)

2g_integra_dohc

HIGH REV-ING IMPORTS
Depends on what your budget....
you can get another b18 or go gsr, or even maybe vtech so it really depends on how much you can spend.:shock:

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
decide whether you want vtec then go from there. The b18a1 and b18b1 are almost the exact same blocks. From what I know, the only main differences are the internals so if you opt for a rebuild, your b18a1 will be fine.

The reason youre b18a1is pissing you off is cause of the bad pistons and head gasket. If you rebuild it, it will be just as good as a b18b1 IMO

mirrorimg

B18C1 swap.

It will cost you just as much to rebuild the B18B1/A1 properly. But by buying a used motor, you are risking getting a lemon.

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
Not looking for anything extravagant,tho, I'm just looking for something cheap and reliable,after all,I'm not the one who's gonna drive the car (my sister is the one (and has 0% interest on racing))

Is just going to work as a commuter,nothing else from there!!!

mirrorimg

To do a proper, complete rebuilt though, is not cheap.

You can open up the block and refresh the lower end, but I did a complete rebuild (Head and block, with some minor upgrades) and it was pretty expensive.

Let me lay out a little list for you, only regarding the block. (prices are estimations)
Machine work:
Hone cylinder walls, Deck the surface: $100
Resurface the flywheel: $60

Crank and Rod bearings, thrust washers:$120
Piston rings: $40?
Oil pump: $90-$120 ($30 if you simply buy the internal rotors, spring, and washer)
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump: $65

So right there you are looking at $450. If you take into account coolant and oil, tack on another $40, maybe a new clutch/pressure plate ($100). Add more for tools if you don't have them, such as a torque wrench.

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
To do a proper, complete rebuilt though, is not cheap.

You can open up the block and refresh the lower end, but I did a complete rebuild (Head and block, with some minor upgrades) and it was pretty expensive.

Let me lay out a little list for you, only regarding the block. (prices are estimations)
Machine work:
Hone cylinder walls, Deck the surface: $100
Resurface the flywheel: $60

Crank and Rod bearings, thrust washers:$120
Piston rings: $40?
Oil pump: $90-$120 ($30 if you simply buy the internal rotors, spring, and washer)
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump: $65

So right there you are looking at $450. If you take into account coolant and oil, tack on another $40, maybe a new clutch/pressure plate ($100). Add more for tools if you don't have them, such as a torque wrench.
So,Mirrorimg,it would be around $500-$600 price,NOOPE,definitely can't afford that right now,guess i'm going for an engine then!!!

raiderfan23897

pick up a used motor may take time.go with your gut and look at the person yuor buying it off of.i got a b18b off an honest kid block,head and manifold for $375 with papers only 76k miles.it is risky but go with yur gut on the person who is sellin it and you can make out real good.good luck