Engine swap help. obd2 gsr in obd1 ls shell

fejvtec

I have two questions and welcome any related advice.
I am pulling my junk ls boosted motor from my 94 ls and rebuilding my 96 gsr to install.
I am interested in adding a bit of 'affordable' power to the gsr but i am also interested in replacing the timing belt head gasket and necessary seals. while also inspecting the internals.

#1 What cams are recommended for this build and what other internals need to be replaced with the cams?
#2 Is there a harness designed to run my obd2 gsr in my obd1 ls shell?

This is a low budget build but if i am tearing the motor apart to inspect it i mine as well throw some cams in, or would i be better off doing something else for around the same price?

fejvtec

I guess in going to leave the internals alone even though i dont fully trust this gsr. But im still not sure about the harness.the obd1 harness currently in the car has a burnt out apexi boost controller, and the obd2 harness has a apexi vtec controller. i would rather use the current harness but im not sure which cpu to use

Prozon

Kris
94 and 96 are both OBD1 years. As for your build- what exactly are you building it for? Are you planning to boost the new motor? Running N/A?

Your kind of all over the place- you're asking about cams, but we have no idea what your plan for the car or the motor is. Set a goal..

fejvtec

Im still plannig the project, im not starting till winter. I want to upgrade the internals in the head but it is probably more than i can afford this year. the motor has seen its share of abuse and burns some oil. Im no expert but i am sure the 96 is obd2, it took me weeks and a borrowed ecu to pass inspection.

fejvtec

I plan on pulling the turbo and ls motor and going gsr n/a. I am looking for reliability for now. I am thinking about using the p75 and wiring vtec along with my apexi vtec controller

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
cams are something that dont need to be changed until you do considerable more work. For a cheap reliable build, a gsr with bolt ons will do just fine. a VAFC and a mild tune wouldnt hurt either.

and kris, the body years dont coincide with the obd years. Confusing I know, but thats the way it is. OBD2 started in 96 then they switched the body in 97

fejvtec

good advice. thats why i am sticking with the obd1 cpu, easier to tune. What should i do with the motor though? It has 180k so i need a timing belt and water pump.but i want to check the internals for excessive wear since it burns a little oil and acts up occasionally. so would i just put new oil seals and head gasket?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
if you did a timing belt, water pump, head gasket, new piston rings, new head studs (arp highly suggested) and had the block and head resurfaced (and replaced all necessary seals depending on what you disassemble) you'd be good. And most gsr motors will burn oil when they pop vtec. How does it "act up"? cold start problems? idle problems? lagging? a lot of that is due to clogged IACV's or clogged cats which would be very typical at 180k

fejvtec

It acts up by misfiring rapidly for a couple seconds about once every couple hundred miles. which would be tolerable accept ive lost races due to it.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
:smackself: if this had been brought up about three weeks ago, you would have been flamed. :cussing:

However, since I dont wanna be banned, i will say this, take that shit to a drag strip or circuit where it belongs. Im done here

esco115

Fawk a Title!
94 and 96 are both OBD1 years.
^all types of incorrect info!

all ur obd1 stuff on ur LS should all fit on the GSR motor... harness, injectors, alternator, map, tb sensor, etc... only thing u'll need is an obd 1 vtec dizzy...