Engine turns over but no spark or start on '90 Teg

Hank

My 1990 Acura Integra GS died while I was exiting the freeway a week ago and I haven't been able to get it running since. It has power (just replaced the battery to try and fix it but to no avail) but it doesn't have spark. Tested the distributor's ICM and ignition coil and they appeared to be just fine. Dash lights come on and everything works ok but no start or spark to the plugs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Extra question: When the cap (clear plastic cover) of a 'fusible link' (large fuse with a large amperage) comes off/goes missing, does that mean the fuse is bad although it may look ok otherwise?

ps. I'll try to post things besides questions eventually.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
How do you know its spark related and not fuel related? Have you done a compression test?

xZachTheRipper8

agree with muckman, crack a line at the fuel rail and see if its getting fuel. could even be the crank sensor or cam sensor, idk if came with them or not

Keoman

First , you need to be sure its no spark. Pull a plug out and set it on the valve cover and crank the engine. Does it spark?
If its fuel related, you should be able to spray starting fluid in the intake and start it up momentarily.

How did you test the ICM? and coil?

Hank

I have taken plugs out to test for spark and received none, thus the post. I have also sprayed starter fluid into the intake to see if that would help it but nothing. I think it may have made the tachometer jiggle a little a couple times while trying to start it but nothing more. I took the ICM and coil into O'Reilly's (parts store) to have them tested. I have not tested the fuel but I figure without spark anyway the fuel won't come into play. Could a fuel sensor or such be causing it to keep from starting? If the oil pressure sensor was bad could that also prevent it? I'm really running out of ideas with it at this point and I really want/need it running again.

Hank

I checked the ECU, fuel lines, and Oxygen sensor. The ECU didn't give me any codes, it is getting fuel just fine, but the oxygen sensor looks pretty bad and I'm going to change it out although it probably doesn't affect the problem. Could this be a problem with its air intake or would it be more something electrical? I've checked all the fuses I know of but none of them look blown.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
a no spark issue on 90-91 is almosty always ignition system related.. I have had parts store coils be bad out of the box & oReilly's is hit or miss on the actual testing. I have seen coil units throw a nice white spark and then watched it get weaker and die while turning the car over. Test the coil yourself you just need a basic digital multimeter to run a resistance test. You can easily google up the ranges for the tests.

I went through this sort of issue for a couple months and in the end just bought a remanufactured distributor from oreillys and have not had an issue since.

regarding the comment about the Crank position sensor 90-93 do have it... but it would not prevent the car from necessarily starting, it would just be a rough start ajd feel more likt the idle or timing was slightly off.

ALso check your negative cable and other grounds... make sure you have a good tight clamp for the negative post... grounds can create some very obscure issues at times.

The o2 sensor wouldn't prevent a spark. Generally a bad o2 sensor on a 90-91 is a 1 wire sensor that doesn't even start reading until the exhaust manifold reaches around 300 degrees. at that point you would get rough or starts when the car has been running at operating tempratures and gets shut off for 10-15 minutes...