Engine won't stay on.

CharlesInCharge

I tried starting up my car this morning, and the engine started, but as soon as I let go of the key, the engine shuts off, and this keeps happening.. The day before I was driving home, and I put the car in neutral and cruised for a few minutes, but then the engine completely shut off. This happened to me twice. I read some forums about the main relay, and checked mine today, and it looks good from what I can tell, no cracks or anything. I don't know what else could lead to this problem. Any help with be greatly appreciated!

emd513

Try starting it with foot slightly on the gas. If it stays running change your filter. If that doesn't change anything then do a complete tune up with fuel regulator. Probably needs it anyways. Then if nothing new pump.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

CharlesInCharge

Definitely sounds like ignition switch... when they get old the contacts can become worn or oxidized causing this issue.

see if this post helps you. was one I started after experiencing a similar issue :)

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?214522-Enine-dies-right-after-it-turns-over
Thanks for the feed back!
I had recently just cleaned the contacts on the ignition switch, and put everything back were it was. Then as soon as a reconnected the battery, the car takes it as my key is in the ignition, even though it's not. my radio turns on, and there's a constant beep when my door is open, though that only happens when my key is in.
Any further feed back would be greatly appreciated!