Erratic and unstable idle (worse when cold)

gizzmo22

I drive a 95 civic with a B18a1 engine from a 93 Integra. I recently have been trying to figure out my completely unstable idle. I start my car and it idles at 2k then will twitch down a couple times before just shutting off. This all happens in a matter of 10 or 20 seconds. I can keep it going a little longer by tapping the gas and it is much worse on a cold day. I tried cleaning and even replacing my IACV, I tried swapping the map sensor, I checked the fuel pressure ( 10 at prime, 40 or above after starting), and yes its full of oil.

It is flashing engine code 41

Last edited:

gizzmo22

define ran correctly please. Also I believe this code probablly has nothing to do with the problem since I dont believe I have an O2 sensor. I just fixed my CEL since I bought it and foud that the bulb had been removed so This was probablly on since I got it.

gizzmo22

its running different since its warmer today and I just gave it a shot. I can keep it alive by keeping my foot on the gas but If I do it starts smoking. its white looking smoke to me but it smells like oil although not quite as strong.

gizzmo22

No milky oil and yes its to the same spot on the intake where it has always been and functioned.

gizzmo22

not as far as I can tell. I managed to keep it running by keeping my foot on the gas until it warmed up. The more the engine warms up the more stable the idle becomes, at normal temperature the engine runs fine. it smokes a little while warming up but as it warms the mild smoke dissipates.

Nick_C78

Fast Idle Control Valve maybe. Sometimes that gets plugged with the coolant being old, etc.

Has your car ever been tuned? Why don't you have an O2 sensor? Also, it could be a lot of sensors though, but O2 does kind of make sense. If it is throwing a check engine code for O2 sensor, then you need to have one. You'd be surprised just how much crap that thing can cause.