exhaust flanger thingy :D

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
Hey guys whats up?
Well ive asked this before, but I want to be sure. I had to replace my oil pan(so I thought). I had to drop my down pipe, and when I did and got everything done. I forgot to but a exhaust flange between the header and the down pipe and my car is smoking. Im 100% sure its because of that. Also I noticed a smell. I dont quite remember what it was, but can the flange not being there cause it to smell a bit? Also I noticed a little smoke coming out of the exhaust. Just a little it wasnt consant. Also I had my car running maybe for 5 minutes and the header was like 5,000 degrees. Is this normal? I know its the hottest part of the engine, but I dont think it can heat up that fast.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Yeah the header gets way hot. Idk about the smoke but yeah the gasket is necessary. It'll cause a leak.

MrDB1integra

honda greaser
Do you think the header and down pipe could melt together? I had it running for a good 5 mintues.
I also changed my oil. Some oil probably got somewhere. That could be the cause of the smoke and smell. Ummm.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Do you think the header and down pipe could melt together? I had it running for a good 5 mintues.
I also changed my oil. Some oil probably got somewhere. That could be the cause of the smoke and smell. Ummm.
That'd be cool but no I don't really think that's possible after running for 5 minutes. Some oil burning off would definitely cause some smoke and a smell.

mirrorimg

That gasket not being there would cause an exhaust leak. Your car would be a bit louder than before as exhaust gases are escaping before they reach the dampening device called the muffler.

If you smell something really bad, I suggest you poke your head back under there. You said you replaced the "oil pan," but did you also replace the oil pan gasket? It really sounds to me more like you have oil dripping onto your header/exhaust piping and burning, giving off a burning smell.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
lol, I didn't read all the way, I just thought you changed your oil. You better have replaced the gasket along with your pan.