Exhaust manifold / header removal to remove oil pan?

K3Ntegra

To reduce oil leaks in my car, I decided to try and change the oil pan gaskets, but wasn't even close to accomplishing such tasks.

I came across the guide on TI for removing / replacing OEM header for an aftermarket one. Unfortunately in my car, the bolts connected the header to the catalytic converter was rounded.

I would like to confirm that to remove the header to access / remove the oil pan, only the 8 bolts connecting the header to the engine block, the 3 bolts connecting the header to the catalytic converter, and the 2 nuts connecting to the studs, needs to be removed (13 total)? Also, I should be to disconnect the o2 sensor electric connection.

The 3 adjacent bolts connecting to the catalytic converter will need to be removed similar to removing an 17mm LCA front strut bolt? I.e., with 2 wrench on opposite sides while one is held firmly in place and the other turning?

The reason I'm asking is I noticed 5 bolts on the header (not the heat shield ones), below the mid section of the driver side radiator fan. Some, if it not all, were rounded. 2 of the 5 (or 6) mid-section bolts are pictured below.

It seems my cheapest and 'safest' course of action would be to take the car to a mechanic and possibly pay for 45 minutes labor ($60-$100), so that they remove the rounded bolts and replace them with new ones.

The 2 studs mentioned earlier, are located before the header and catalytic 3 bolt connection point. What would be the easiest quickest way to remove these? The guide at TI doesn't mention this at all. Can I just fold the metal piece back. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of this. Or should I just ask the mechanic to remove the studs and then discard them?

These Walker 35129, have been criticized as being too short, and therefore out of the question. Most eBay merchants say it fits, while Amazon says it doesn't.

These Autopart 2108-18231, seem to be best ones available at a 'low price'.

Off topic:

Is the green the circle, the 'sub frame'? Is it okay to jack the car from there without worrying about long term damage? I think the blue circle would damage the bearing/bushing.

Last edited:

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Why not just remove the entire exhaust manifold, the head down to the cat? Removing the driver side radiator fan (2 bolts) really helps to shimmy the manifold out. Yes, disconnecting the the plug from the o2 sensor is what you should do, can't imagine trying to take out the entire o2 sensor.. Don't forget to take out the bell housing cover, there is nuts from the oil pan there as well.

K3Ntegra

Why not just remove the entire exhaust manifold, the head down to the cat? Removing the driver side radiator fan (2 bolts) really helps to shimmy the manifold out. Yes, disconnecting the the plug from the o2 sensor is what you should do, can't imagine trying to take out the entire o2 sensor.. Don't forget to take out the bell housing cover, there is nuts from the oil pan there as well.
Thanks for responding.

By bell housing I'm assuming the dust cover object on the passenger side of the oil pan?

If anyone has a suggestion for removing the cat bolts, that doesn't involve, a propane blow torch, it would be appreciated. I'd have to hold off on until April or so, to have a mechanic remove the bolts for me (60-$120).

I was thinking of vise grips but I'm not certain.

In this video, the guy didn't loosen the bottom bolts. I tried to do it his way, but was afraid of damaging the header, and having an exhaust leak in the future. I had to replace my mid pipe exhaust this year alone.

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
You can break the bolts off with a punch, a hammer, and a strong hitting arm.

You might be best off disconnecting the axleback and dropping the whole exhaust to remove those if you can. But yeah, a nice pointy punch and a solid hammer should bust them right off, crack the side and the nut might twist off by hand.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
If you just remove the manifold from the head you can drop the exhaust down enough to get the oil pan off. Just remove the exhaust hangers around the middle so you can set it on the ground without it flexing too much, no need to take it apart at the cat. The flywheel dust cover will need to come off. You can jack the car from the center of the subframe that you show, just use a flat board between it and the jack head to spread out the pressure.

Last edited: