Exhaust Question (Flowmaster?)

White_Rabbit

So I went to a local exhaust shop here in town. They did a stock setup on my beater and he was real reasonable straight to the point guy to work with. So I went back with the integra. He's going to do a 2 1/4 cat back exhaust into a......Flowmaster 60 series thats designed for imports. He had it on an HHR SS (2.0 DOHC turbo) and it sounded VERY clean. I told him I was looking for an oval style muffler I didn't want a can type. He was showing me some magnaflows then he told me about his HHR SS with flowmaster on it.

Anyone heard this on an integra? Oh yea for the setup from cat back muffler and all with a tip it'll be $250. That sound like a decent price? If it sounds half as good as it did on his other car I think it will have a great sound. Specially with my SRI his was all stock except for the exhaust.

wite2nr

that sounds like a good price. i had a magnaflow muffler that was welded into place to swap out for the stock muffler in the axle back portion of my civic and it sounded very good. it was all stock piping, just the magnaflow muffler, so it wasn't loud at all, but exhaust tone was deeper. i could still hear the intake over the exhaust. im sure with bigger piping and the full cat back system you will be very happy, especially for 250.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Keep in mind that is hard to make a turbo car sound like crap. The turbo chops ups the exhaust pulses they generally all sound good. That exhaust may not have the same effect on your Integra

White_Rabbit

Keep in mind that is hard to make a turbo car sound like crap. The turbo chops ups the exhaust pulses they generally all sound good. That exhaust may not have the same effect on your Integra
So you're saying I need to go turbo? lol

White_Rabbit

I am going turbo....right after my deployment. I leave in October. So when I get back i'll start collecting my parts.

wite2nr

well if you are going turbo then i believe 2.25 is a little small, you should shoot for 2.5 or 3 inch. but i am not speaking from experience, just what i have read.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
You can't quite call that without seeing what his power goals and list of parts pans out to be. 3" could be overkill pending on whatever setup he goes with.
Exactly, his exhaust system has to match with his turbo setup. I've seen a boosted DC2 GS-R run a 4" exhaust. I think he's putting down about 400whp.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Honestly, it's going to be hard to go too big with a turbo. You will be fine with a 3" exhaust. 2.5" will work but even a 250whp car will benefit from having a 3". The larger pressure difference from the manifold to the exhaust speeds spooling time. Of course I've seen 450hp running 2.5" but that is quite undersized

White_Rabbit

Honestly, it's going to be hard to go too big with a turbo. You will be fine with a 3" exhaust. 2.5" will work but even a 250whp car will benefit from having a 3". The larger pressure difference from the manifold to the exhaust speeds spooling time. Of course I've seen 450hp running 2.5" but that is quite undersized
He said price wont change from a 2.25 to 2.5" and I will probably go with a 2.5" because the more I read about the LS motor the more I want to just keep it non-vtech and turbo it.

EDIT: I just want a fun little cruiser so I would be really happy with 250whp and I'm hoping a good turbo setup and a few boltons with a really good tune I can reach that.

White_Rabbit

do it. 2.5" flowmaster. is it aluminized steel or ss?
SS

The guy does good work and is very reasonable. I did a stock setup on my 99 Grand Am beater and he put a new muffler, new crossover pipe (since it's dual cause its a GT) for 80 dollars. Pretty sure he gives me a pretty damn good military discount. Considering for me to buy the muffler would cost 179 and he's doing the labor and full cat back for just a bit more. Obviously he's probably not paying 179 for the muffler but its still a good deal for me.