Exhaust questions

Blake1985

I have a 94 Integra LS everything is stock except the air intake. Problem I'm having is I am not passing smog and were in the state of California with the dumbest smog laws known to man. So I am trying to save some money and get it to pass myself without leaving the mechanic missing an arm and leg. I've concluded that a basic tune up and replacing my o2 sensor and Cat should do the trick. note: "I have the black soot on the bumper problem"

With that being said I looked online to see where I could buy a cheap cat, and that's where I found out that you have to buy a special cat if you live in California which happens to cost double or triple the price of all the other cat's sold online..

So my question is where can I buy a cheap California rated catalytic converter online? and should I go for a Universal or Direct fit? The universal is cheaper buy may require bending/welding which I'm trying to stay away from.. But if someone can confirm that a universal will bolt on without any modification I would just go with that.

PS: If anyone has any ideas as how to get rid of the black soot problem on the bumper that would be great.

mjones73

The bolt in would be the easiest route, a universal will require having flanges welded on so then it can be bolted in.

Cheap CA cat? Good luck, from what I've read, replacement CA cats have to meet today's standards, not the standards from 94, part of the reason they are so expensive.

As for the soot, it's a sign the car is running rich, tune it up and replace the O2 for starters.

Black teg

Catch me if you can
Somethings it's easier to just lets the shop get the car to pass, it's not always going to cost an arm and a leg. They know what to look for and what to check to make it pass. Every time i have failed the test here in Canada, I have let the shop get it to past and have only cost me around $100.

Different parts will effect different things, you could do all the stuff you said, and it could still fail because it could be something else that you have no clue what it is. There are just some things you should let the people that have the training for do that work, it's a lot easier some times