Exhaust Rattle at Idle

bvans

DC5-ED9
So I've been searching for it on both google and the forums here,
and all I could find was the notorious exhaust rattle at around 3k RPM

I have a rattle at ONLY idle, what could this be? It's driving me crazyyy.
It used to be only sometimes, about once every two or three times I drove. Then I went over a slope to get to my doctor and my whole undercarriage scraped.. Now it's a constant rattle at idle.
What should I be lookin for to stop the dang rattle?

bvans

DC5-ED9
Not sure if this would help but, I have a flowmaster muffler, aftermarket polished headers & piping, and a cat.
Also, a skunk2 short shifter, not sure if this would cause a problem..

BankiBoi

one day i back my tail pipe into something and it rattled bc the thing that held on broke but if its lose it will do that and u can go to any auto store and get a hanger to see if that helps

mirrorimg

Its probably one of your heatshields.

Turn the car on, walk around and poke your head under there to locate the source. This should be pretty straight forward. Since you have an aftermarket header, you don't have a heatshield there. You still have one above the catalytic converter, and that's probably the cause. There may be some a little further back, but I wouldn't know as I don't have any on my car.

Prozon

Kris
I agree with Jason. It is probably your heat shields.
If the cat is an old one, it may have broken up inside. I've had a catalytic converter fall apart on the inside and rattle at idle.

cre-asian1

well i agree with jason and kris its most likely the exhaust pipe rattling against one of your heat shield now to pin point where exactly the noise is coming from you can drive your car on those car ramps get up under it and have one of your buddies start your car up and you should be able to pin point it that way now to test if your noise is coming from your cat is to again drive it on the ramp's or jack it up on it's side and hit your cat with your fist if you hear things rattling inside then you know its your cat but if you hear nothing then your cat is good now when you do that cat test your engine is cold or at least Luke warm cause if it was hot and you hit it with your fist to check it will give you a brand new tattoo which you did not design so with that being said i hope that helped you out a little if you have any questions hit me up

bvans

DC5-ED9
kinda late in response haha but thanks buys.. i still need to get a floor jack and some stands, too low to use the jacks i have...
the CAT was replaced about 4 months ago, about two weeks before i bought it. the previous owner had trouble passing smog so he replaced O2 censors and the cat...

once i can get under her i'll update you guys.

also, none of the hangers are gone. just got new tires on the back, while they had it jacked up i looked at the hangers