Exhaust Setup

96LSteg

Jemel
What is the difference between having a stock LS cat with a 2.25-2.5 catback? Is it better to have a header with a 2.5" collector plus 2.5" inlet/outet cat plus 2.5" catback?

bkirshr

User that is Registered
I may be mistaken, but I believe the stock LS cat has 2" inlet and outlets, if you put that with a 2.5" exhaust, it would be restricting a little bit

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Do stock Ls motors really need 2.5" piping? Anytime you create a bottleneck in your exhaust, you're bound to have restriction and less power - assuming you're running the correct size piping in the first place

96LSteg

Jemel
im not saying I want to run 2.5" piping thats just a figure...Im asking which is better because I need a new cat seeing as how when I got the car it didn't have one....I also want to get a catback. Every one that I have seen is 2.5 or 2.25. so my question what is the difference between 2.5 from the cat back and 2.5 from the collector back (with a cat)?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Anything after the cat doesnt really matter unless its smaller because smaller = bottleneck. Your entire flow system (in/out) only flows as well as the smallest bottleneck. Same size all the way through, or steps up not down. For note, on most of our cars a catback system alone on all other stock piping doesnt do shit except make noise.

96LSteg

Jemel
so its pretty safe to say that I can save myself the money and keep my stock 2" piping...

96LSteg

Jemel
my I just want to do an all motor setup to add a little pep to my LS to make it way more enjoyable to ride...nothing over the top (at least not for now)

redGSRguy

The bigger you go the more noise it will make. Try a I/H/E setup to begin with then go turbo when you get greedy :p

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Well if he is going to go turbo, it would be foolish to upgrade his exhaust now and have to redo it later. If you plan on building something that will benefit from larger piping, then get your parts together and do it all at once. "One time, big time", as my boy would say

redGSRguy

Just checked the build thread, is the 4-1 header have a 2.5" collector? You can go with a 2.5" piping kit. I run the one from SMSP (http://sms-products.com/Exhausts.html) you can also get it from kteller (http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kteller_exhaust_piping_kits/pk9401integra225ss/i-402953.aspx) or vrs(http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KITS/Acura_TK/acura_tk.html).

2.5" will give you room to grow. My SMSP kit is supporting 240+ hp but is quite loud :p

As OGstackadolla is saying you don't wanna re-buy some parts. So decide which route to go rather then pick a setup!

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
The simple answer, vtec. The appropriate question, what do you want to do with the car? Be thorough with your answer.

96LSteg

Jemel
I want a simple all motor setup...im not going to spend more money on swapping to vtec when my LS motor works just fine. I would like to do an LSV in the future but for now I'm keeping it straight LS. No boost. Just high comp all motor daily driven. I would like to put some PR3s or P30s (which ever i can find) in my LS with a stage 2 BC cam and I/H/E. Just want to get an idea as to what direction i need to go as far as exhaust is concerned....