exhaust sounds ricey

Jabes

so I got my integra running good now but the exhaust sounds ricey :roll: I'm assuming this is because its running 2.25" straight pipe catless back to some muffler on it that doesnt have a name brand my question is... If I put on my HKS Hi-power muffler will that get rid of the ricey sound or do I need a resonator and or test pipe too?

Also is there anyway to bypass the cel from the o2 sensors or do I just need to get a cat or test pipe and some o2 sensors and hook them up because my header doesnt have a spot for a o2 sensor

mirrorimg

All a test-pipe is is a straight pipe to delete the cat. I dont understand why you think that would help.

Why did you get rid of the cat? Did you get a race-style header? A resonator will help, as will a different muffler. If you have another muffler, you may as well try it out and see how it sounds.

You may have an exhaust leak as well, which may be compounding the noise.

Jabes

When I bought the shell it came with the ehaust already running catless, and the reason I thinking of getting a test pipe is so I'd have something to bolt o2 sensors into. Its a aftermarket xr racing ebay header but looks like a decent quality header and I bought it used for cheap so I figured id throw it on til i could find something like a DC header.
There might be a slight exhaust leak too since the exhaust was kinda pieced together when I got it. What would be a good resonator to buy?

edit: it only sounds ricey when the engines above 3k rpms

Last edited:

mirrorimg

All resonators are effectively the same. A piece of piping with a perforated tube in the center of it. The muffler is going to have the biggest impact on the sound of the exhaust. It not having a cat is also increasing the sound, as their is less restriction in the exhaust.

I was researching the Car Chemistry inserts not long ago, but figured they would restrict a lot of flow, which is not something Im looking for when I upgraded my header. I ended up buying a muffler known for its quiet nature while not hampering performance. The Mugen Twin Loop. Its a bit expensive though.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a test pipe will make it louder, a cat and a few resonators will make it fine. My Greddy sp2 sounds "ricey" at 3k and below

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Chaning muffler would change the ricey sound for sure. Put a CAT on that thing, your killing my air!>=^( -Aaron

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Chaning muffler would change the ricey sound for sure. Put a CAT on that thing, your killing my air!>=^( -Aaron
i run a test pipe for my car and i track and i work for the Air Resources Board :mrgreen: its all good

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Dylan, it effectively has a test-pipe currently (straight pipe welded in), without bungs.
ooooohhhhhhhhhhh hahhahahahhaha
you seem to be in the same predicament go to my build thread (link in sig) 1st post has 3 videos, the top two are of my car with a greddy race header (no o2 bung) and a test pipe and a HKS hi Power. IMO the HKS isnt ricey as long as it has a resonator, however, this setup has gotten me a ticket

Jabes

ooooohhhhhhhhhhh hahhahahahhaha
you seem to be in the same predicament go to my build thread (link in sig) 1st post has 3 videos, the top two are of my car with a greddy race header (no o2 bung) and a test pipe and a HKS hi Power. IMO the HKS isnt ricey as long as it has a resonator, however, this setup has gotten me a ticket
Thanks I like the sound of your exhaust actually and your cars pretty clean man. I'll probably put on the HKS soon what resonator are you running?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Thanks I like the sound of your exhaust actually and your cars pretty clean man. I'll probably put on the HKS soon what resonator are you running?
i have a hks hi power cat back with a blox test pipe and greddy race header. so the resonator is from HKS

my greddy sp2 set up has zero resonator on the b pipe and a test pipe

Jabes

i have a hks hi power cat back with a blox test pipe and greddy race header. so the resonator is from HKS

my greddy sp2 set up has zero resonator on the b pipe and a test pipe
ah gotcha I'll probably just run a vibrant resonator or somethin like that since i only have the hks muffler and then run any old test pipe just so i can get rid of the cels and not go into limp mode or run to rich or lean