experienced mechanic needed

saxxml

I'm reaching out for advice on an issue that I see dozens of integra & civic owners reporting but almost no solution listed. Other than MUCKMAN no one has responded. The drop dead flat spot is so severe now that it's dangerous to drive the car. I almost got rear ended not being able to accelerate up a slight grade on to a busy highway. Please see my original post below for details.
[/I]
[/B]**************************************************************************************************************************
I own a mint totally stock '94 GSR w/ 177K miles that has a drop dead flat spot between 2k & 3K. It happens every time all the time w/ no misfire. The dealer did a complete tune-up a few months ago with no success. I use premium gas from different stations to eliminate a fuel issue. Today after a 30 minutes drive on the highway I parked it for just a few minutes. When I tried to start it it just cranked but would not start. It sat for an hour then started right up. This is the second time I've had the starting problem in the last month. Each time he car was fully warm and after waiting a hour or more it started normally. Can the starting problem be related to the flat spot? This car has been amazing for 22 years and my only regret is that I babied it with a lot of city driving that I may have contributed to the flat spot issue. I'm looking for advice from someone who has had these issues w/ their integra and resolved them.

Thanks in advance.

ML

Ryan659

If it's that dangerous and you're worried about it then take it to a reputable shop and have them fix it. Since you're not getting very many responses that may be your best bet.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if your car wont start after its most likely the distributor. When that happens the coil is going bad or the module. I highly suggest getting a remanufactured distributor from autozone or orilleys and switching over your OEM cap and rotor from your existing distributor. Also did the dealership do a valve adjustment on the car? did they do a fuel filter replacement? How about the injectors?

rivman05

Check electricals. On my 72 Riviera I had a fusible link that went tits up. Would start fine cold, no dead spot but if you turned the key off, you had to wait for things to cool off before it would start. Id agree with Samurai on trying a distributor swap and see what happens. Get a can of starting fluid and check for vacuum leaks. Could be a ported vacuum block issue (have had many on old Caddys) Any cels at all to go off of?

saxxml

problem solved

Samurai Blue you were right !!!!

I found a great young guy that races GSRs / Civics. He saw the ignition coil had several burn marks. He replaced it and while he was available he replaced the timing belt. Great job ..... Great price. It runs amazing just like it did in August 1993 when I drove it home. No Start gone ..... Hesitation gone. Hallelujah !
Thanks for your help.

(And thanks to dc2bsr & ryan69)