failed e-test need input.

treybombRW

hey everyone, i recently sold my 92 da ls and bought another 92 da gs, it passed safety no prob and is in great shape all around, but it failed the e-test.
it passed everything really well except NO ppm at 40km/h.
the limit was 505 and i scored 1166.
now i noticed that the car was low on coolant in the reservoir, and when i took the rad cap off the coolant wasn't up to the top, so i topped it up and it eventually filled the rad, so i topped the reservoir up again and the levels of coolant in the rad and reservoir are good, BUT my engine temp gauge isn't getting up to operating temp, it seems to just stop at halfway between cool and the middle, which leads me to belive the thermostat is stuck open and the engine is too cool to get up to the right temp and the fuel isn't being fully burned up. does this make sense so far? could that be the reason for failing that high or could it be that and the catalitic conv?

Prozon

Kris
1/4-1/2 is right about where it should be. A thermostat is only like $10 though, if you suspect it's bad change it just for the sake of having a new part.

treybombRW

ok so i'll change the t-stat, but would the cool temp of the engine in general stop all the fuel from being properly combusted, and effect my e-test because of the extra unburned fuel?

Prozon

Kris
That's it? Mine is full. Is that bad? I haven't had any problems tho lol
Just keep red lining, you'll be fine.

ok so i'll change the t-stat, but would the cool temp of the engine in general stop all the fuel from being properly combusted, and effect my e-test because of the extra unburned fuel?
I doubt it's cool enough to cause fuel burning issues. Do you have any CEL's?

treybombRW

turns out my rad casing ( plastic at the top of the rad) was cracked and slowly leaking, and my thermostat failed in the open position (thank god it was a fail safe t-stat), i couldn't get my temp gauge to go up at all it just stayed at the bottom line. now i just have to find out if that caused or affected the outcome of my e-test.

treybombRW

so the rad and t-stat issue only lowered my emissions, so i went and got a used egr from the junk yard because the one on my car looked like it has been through hell, and i cleaned the new one out a bit and installed it with a new gasket. then i went for a drive and my engine light came on, any idea's as to why it would come on. and any advise for passing an e-test would be great.

RoachGSR

Do a tune up, reset your idle, and replace your O2 sensor. Are you sure your cat is working right?

tegfreak91

Have a '91 that failed the first time. Mechanic said it was prop the cat. so i changed it and it passed with flying colours.