Failed Smog because of Catalytic Converter

goofygamer

I recently changed my cat late last year and now when I went to get my car smogged, I ended up failing it. I went by the muffler shop that installed my cat and they said that the cat is the problem, but there is no way it could go bad in less than a year. The guy said that my car is running rich, which is why my cat went bad so quickly. He also told me that I should be prepared to purchase a new cat every time I need to smog my car.

Does anyone know why my car would run rich?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
You're fucked. Mine was slightly off after sitting for 6 months, but only in Hydrocarbons. You should not be running through a cat a year, that's stupid, something's not right

goofygamer

Yeah, it is a polluter. Hybrid owners in SF would demolish it.

Any ideas, Patrick?

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I would assume the 02 sensor is getting ruined from running rich, so just replace that. It could also be lazy, that's why driving it for a good while and getting that cat as hot as possible helps, but Idk about how far off you are. I would run straight pipe until smog time, but Idk how your exhaust will hold up

goofygamer

Do you guys think it could be the o2? I don't want to keep buying parts lol.

94rs-gharp

Fuck Cali and their dman smog tests lol I love VA other thsn the damn yearly inspections an the strict ass rules

jznsn2u

Woah!!! I never seen such a high reading on smog :(. If I were you I would just spend the $$ on buying it off, if you know what I mean.