failed smog, cali..

yoshi408

The shop is called SpeeDee Muffler in San Jose. I went there before, cause it's close to Tech 3 Performance and playfully asked if they could get me an aftermarket cat and they said "yes". Not sure if the aftermarket cat will pass smog since I never had one installed in my car before.

-Z-
Ok kool thanks ill check them out n see their prices.

Nick_C78

Try using this:

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8

You put it in a FULL tank of gas and run that tank ALL the way until E. I can not stress that enough, run it all the way through. And then fill back up and go to smog. That stuff worked like a champ multiple times for my 89 Accord, damn near ever time I smogged it it would fail REALLY bad. Then I would run that stuff through a tank and it would pass.

Autozone also sells it by the way

yoshi408

Try using this:

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8

You put it in a FULL tank of gas and run that tank ALL the way until E. I can not stress that enough, run it all the way through. And then fill back up and go to smog. That stuff worked like a champ multiple times for my 89 Accord, damn near ever time I smogged it it would fail REALLY bad. Then I would run that stuff through a tank and it would pass.

Autozone also sells it by the way
Ya heard of that but i still need the cat to be replaced.

Nick_C78

The smog place said my Accord needed the cat replaced too, but yet that stuff made it pass every time. If your cat isn't broken apart and rattling, then you don't need a new one.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
IsoHEET and GTP are basically isopropyl alcohol mixtures. They will lower combustion chamber temps thus lowering your NOx. I don't think they will do anything for your CO2 numbers, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Last edited:

yoshi408

IsoHEET and GTP are basically isopropyl alcohol mixtures. They will lower combustion chamber temps thus lowering your NOx. I don't think they will do anything for your CO2 numbers, but it couldn't hurt to try.
Yea it will help my NOx, but i dropped the exhaust and found out it has a couple holes causing leaks , so i need to replace the exhaust. Smog tech said that because i had a blown head gasket the cat could have gone bad is that really true??

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Makes sense to me, CAT would fail due to additional crap it has to clean out, stuff it's not necessarily engineered for like the extra water or oil. Don't forget it's a 23yr old car.

Nick_C78

That would be true, if you were to smog with it in your system. However, it is to be used as a cleaner, not as a fuel. Therefore you want to make sure it is damn near completely out of your tank before you take it to get smogged. And it lowered my CO2 numbers every time too. Probably because it supposedly cleans out the CAT, which from my experiences it does seem to do. It is just a $12 attempt to save you lots of coin, potentially.