Failed Smog for HC

drewcandraw

Have a 96 gsr with about 130k miles on the motor that had everything replaced about 30k ago. Passed smog two years ago and then rarely drove the car in the last 2 years. Only put about 2k miles in that time frame as i bought a new car for commuting.

To prepare for smog, i replaced the spark plug & spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and dizzy cap looked good still since i replaced it 2k miles ago. I drove it hard on the way to the smog station which was about 30 min in downtown SF. Left the car running and made sure it was hot.

updated my results
15mph: 87 HC, 0.12 CO%, 1.3 %O2, NO 169.
25mph: 45 HC, 0.6 CO%, 1.2%O2, NO 49

I was wondering should i replace the O2 sensors as i'm not sure if it was ever replaced? Also, i noticed i have small exhaust leak right before the axelback which i could get repaired. I understand that HC is unburnt fuel being released out the tail pipe. Does using ethanol or HEET really help me lower HC? I checked yesterday but could not find any leaks on the hoses (soapy water). Going to clean the PCV and look again under the hood when i get off work. Not sure how old the cat is but would like to make that my last option at the moment.

I want to check my own timing and was wondering if anyone is around Daly City/SF can lend me one for a day so i can adjust it. Any advice is appreciated. I'm planning to retest one more time and if it cannot pass I will just non-op to avoid back fees and work on it as my reg is up in a week.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
did you drive normally to the place? im assuming you just failed the 15mph portion? Drive the car HARD on the way to the station and keep it reved up to like 3k in the parking lot. that will keep the cat hot. Also do have an aftermarket header? Those tend to make the car run a tad rich in my experience. you can also retard timing if your NOX is okay. but that will increase nox.

Nick_C78

Throw some g2p in that bitch. I used it on my old accord. It failed miserably. Guy said my cat was done. I ran g2p through a full tank, all the way to Empty. Filled back up and she passed. Shit works trust me.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I used that, didnt work for me. I think my cat was dead dead.

drewcandraw

did you drive normally to the place? im assuming you just failed the 15mph portion? Drive the car HARD on the way to the station and keep it reved up to like 3k in the parking lot. that will keep the cat hot. Also do have an aftermarket header? Those tend to make the car run a tad rich in my experience. you can also retard timing if your NOX is okay. but that will increase nox.
No, i drove hard on it. Too keep the cat hot and burn whatever in there. It does have the usual dented dc headers. I want to retard timing but do not own a timing gun. So i posted if anyone close by has one. I kept car idling in the parking lot for about 5min. Nox was about 380 like i put in OP.

drewcandraw

Throw some g2p in that b****. I used it on my old accord. It failed miserably. Guy said my cat was done. I ran g2p through a full tank, all the way to Empty. Filled back up and she passed. s*** works trust me.
is g2p just pure ethanol or some type of alcohol to help promote cleaner burning?

Nick_C78

No, you don't use it during the smog. You put it in, go through a full tank and thats it. Then you get it smog once all that stuff is out. It burns all that shit out of your engine. Essentially I think it is a type of aviation fuel with cleaner

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
380 nox out of? I see you put what you scored. But not what the maximum values are. Switch to a stock header and you will pass. Dc headers cause the car to run ritch

drewcandraw

380 nox out of? I see you put what you scored. But not what the maximum values are. Switch to a stock header and you will pass. Dc headers cause the car to run ritch
max nox values i think was around 1500 if i remember and i do not own stock headers.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
What sort of MPG do you get? Does your car get to full operating temperature within 5-10 minutes? If MPG is low and it doesn't warm up quickly, replace the thermostat. You have an OBD2 Integra so find someone with a scanner so that you can observe the O2 Sensor and see if the voltage switches as it should. You can try running some fuel system cleaner as some have had success with it. Timing could be an issue too so check that.
Samurai, why would a stock header fix the problem? Haven't heard that as a solution to this sort of thing before.
- Aaron