First timer with a problem. :(

Jface

Hello,

I'm just gonna cut straight to the point. I own a 1991 Integra LS with 95 LS swap. Recently It's been randomly dying, no matter how long, short, hot or cold the car is. I could be driving down the road and it'll bog down and die or I could be sitting in my driveway and the same problem will occur. Sometimes it'll start up right away. Other times not for a few minutes .

Anyways, I first thought it might be my fuel pump. I replaced it. No result. A few "Honda guys" had told me it was my Main Relay. I replaced it and it ran pretty much all day, smoothly and without issues... Until now.

I really don't wanna keep throwing parts at it and hoping I get it right. So if any of you kind people wouldn't mind giving me a direction to go in or advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Jface

Last edited:

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
does it happen more when the vehicle is at operating temperatures? (warmed up)

2 things that come to mind are failing coil unit or bad 02 sensor.

before you say it isn't the coil... a failing coil can produce clean spark initially, but then have it's power fade as the car turns over more and more... so pull a plug wire and check the spark whiule someone turns the car over for a minute or so and see if it gets weaker.. ALso get a multimeter and perform resistance checks... you can get info on how to do them properly by googling.

o2 sensor is going to be 15-25 bucks... so it is a cheap part to replace and rule out... again there are tests you can run including fogging it with propane. google it :)

Jface

does it happen more when the vehicle is at operating temperatures? (warmed up)

2 things that come to mind are failing coil unit or bad 02 sensor.

before you say it isn't the coil... a failing coil can produce clean spark initially, but then have it's power fade as the car turns over more and more... so pull a plug wire and check the spark whiule someone turns the car over for a minute or so and see if it gets weaker.. ALso get a multimeter and perform resistance checks... you can get info on how to do them properly by googling.

o2 sensor is going to be 15-25 bucks... so it is a cheap part to replace and rule out... again there are tests you can run including fogging it with propane. google it :)

I gave in and took it to a shop. The "mechanic" said it was the ignitor and that it'd be cheaper just to buy a whole new distributor. So I did.

And same problem. I'm about to sell this car. :( I really don't want to, but it's becoming a money pit.

New distributor had cap/rotor and coil all assembled.

But you're saying it might be the O2 sensor? That might be my last ditch effort.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Trix

dont give up man, keep the car sooner or later you will find the problem, i have a 91 teggy also that has been in the family since it was brand new, and never let something get in the way of how much fun these little cars are to drive

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
I feel you frustration bud... I went through alot of mechanical work after I first picked up my GS... Wasa especially frustrating cause it cut into my aftermarket goodie budget.

these cars are known for having problematic ignition systems I.E. Distributor... and probably one of the most pricey parts for the engine as it is all integrated.

I kept plugging away and eventually got everything sorted out, and was still able to add light upgrades... end result is a car I will keep as long as it has wheels... it is such a joy to drive now and I'm only halfway through the entire build scope lol...

Last edited: