Flashing CEL/Car cutting off?

travistrouble

I've got a 1998 Integra 2DR LS A/T and recently the car has been flashing a CEL and cutting off in drive along with a low idle. We replaced the distributor, the ECU, spark plug wires, and valve cover gasket in the past month. It stopped for a day or so and is back up again.

My wife drove it to work today and it cut off 3 times, yesterday it didn't at all. I'm confused :(

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Go get the CEL checked? Any autozone/advanced auto parts store will do it for free, they just hook their scanner up and read the code

travistrouble

A friend has a scanner and two days ago it pulled up P0700, P0122, and P1790. From what I've read online the description is Intermittent misfires. Has anyone else had experiences with their teg doing this?

white89hatch

Automatic Transmission Control System
Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Low Input
Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Last edited:

travistrouble

1 was for a transmission malfunction which I knew about. It causes it to slip from 3rd to 4th so I manually put it into overdrive and it's fine. The other 2 codes were for the TPS which I took off and cleaned and it looked normal. I'll get it rescanned today to see what new codes come up. But it ran perfectly yesterday. So for it to randomly start up again is what confused me.

travistrouble

Symptoms of a Defective Throttle Position Sensor
Following is a list of symptoms, either of or a combination of which, a car driver may experience because of a defective throttle position sensor:
Bucking and jerking of the car
Idle surging
Sudden stalling of the car engine
Hesitation while the driver of the car is trying to accelerate

That is what I just found. So I'm guessing it may be the TPS afterall.

white89hatch

1 was for a transmission malfunction which I knew about. It causes it to slip from 3rd to 4th so I manually put it into overdrive and it's fine. The other 2 codes were for the TPS which I took off and cleaned and it looked normal. I'll get it rescanned today to see what new codes come up. But it ran perfectly yesterday. So for it to randomly start up again is what confused me.[/QUOTE

Did you check the tps with a volt meter to make sure its putting out the correct ohms? Which should be .5 at idle and around 4.5 at wide open throttle.

travistrouble

Not yet, but when I was cleaning it I noticed that the previous owner apparently spliced the wiring on the TPS. There is electrical tape on all of the TPS wires. I haven't taken the tape off to see for sure. We haven't had the car long and it's been one thing after another with it.

Would that code be for the TPS itself or could the problems be in the wiring harness connected to it? That way I don't replace one problem and it really be the other.

travistrouble

I found a TPS on eBay for around $20.00 but I don't know if it's cheaper anywhere else and somewhere I can just go pick it up. I'd like to get it brand new so I don't run into the same problem. I know the TPS is easy but is the wiring part easy to install