Flywheel question

bigbro6785

Ok, I am replacing my clutch and was thinking i should get a lighter flywheel while i was at it. But, I have heard mixed stories as to if a lighter flywheel is better. I have a lightly modded ls. I was thinking about the Exedy 10 lb flywheel. Would this be too light? I am more of a drag guy, so would it effect my launch? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

ltrain

bigbro6785 said:
Ok, I am replacing my clutch and was thinking i should get a lighter flywheel while i was at it. But, I have heard mixed stories as to if a lighter flywheel is better. I have a lightly modded ls. I was thinking about the Exedy 10 lb flywheel. Would this be too light? I am more of a drag guy, so would it effect my launch? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
10lbs are no good 4 drag your fine with the stock 1 or get a oem itr flywheel 16lbs perfect weight

ltrain

only time u would want a 10lbs flywheel was if u had ALOT of boost 2 aleviate turbo lag or u were into driving on courses or something

twlplague

if you got that 10lb flywheel will it help your acceleration around turns?
not drag....more like lets say, curvey roads

ltrain

bigbro6785 said:
What about the ACT 12.5 lb flywheel, would that be a better choice?
nope oem itr 16lbs 4 drag, imagine this the flywheel makes the rpm sensative easy acceleration and deaccelaration, so in between shifts u would lose more rpm's then lets say a stock 1would (example your in 4th at 7rpm u shift to 5th rpm neadle drops to 6rpm, now with the flywheel youll go down to 5.8 or so rpm's) and the acceleration isnt that big of a differance on a flywheel, i purchased a 8lb flywheel and regret it cuz it makes having a good launch so damn difficult, either 2 much wheel spin or to lil, and its almost like u have turbo lag,..... but there great for turbo and cources where youll stay in 1 gear around turns

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
So for Road races and like time attack that Exedy Flywheel would be fine right?

LStegg

1 bad LS
Itrain is right on the money. A 11 or 12.5 lb. flywheel is'nt the way 2 go unless you boost. 4 N/A's it takes away from your pick up cause the car is winding out 2 quick. A freind of mine put a Exxedy flywheel in his Civic and it was like you had 2 shift 2 soon or it would redline. A I.T.R flywheel is the ticket and I want 1 as well. Just dont do the really light ones. :nono: