Foglights dependent on headlights being on?

mirrorimg

Hey guys, I tried some searching but couldnt come up with any information for my situation. My foglights only work if I have my headlights turned on. Ive got JDM headlights, and want to be able to run only the foglights at certain times. Is there a simple way to re-wire the lights to have them work indepedently? I understand I will probably have to dive in and do trial and error, but wanna know if anyone has information on this?

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
Just wondering by why do you want to? I have the Raybrig OEM kit and its the same way and they automatically turn off when you have the high beams on.

mirrorimg

Mine were already hooked up when I got the car. I want to be able to run them when its over cast, or in the morning before its too bright out, or anytime that i dont necessarily need my headlights. I want the freedom to be able to turn them on at will.

ric3rboi23

touge beast
my fogs came with a long wire that i attached from the switch relay to the fogs relay, instead of going through the headlight relay garbage.. so it would have been able to be on whenever from just the switch (i think [lol]) but the switch was broken so the wire to the fogs just got hooked up to the headlights fuse and turn on whenever the headlights are on.

nautica_t

i have my oem raybrig usdm fog lights on anytime i want, as long as the car is started.

what you want to do, is to find the fog light wires from the fog light and your fog light switch and change the source of the power, so you can have them on anytime you want.

mirrorimg

Not quite sure when I'll get around to doing it. Making a new sub box now, still have to do some upholstery on the back door panels, and some other little things. But I'll keep you all in the know when I get to do it. Maybe a little write up to help others too? Who knows ;)

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
on 2nd gens you just wire it to the rear defrost power on the fog power. as long as the switch side of the relay has power when the ignition is on you can turn the fogs on and off.

i did that to the civic too. It's nice to just have them as running lights sometimes, and fills in the space the High beams don't. I say good idea and everyone should do it. lol