Forever to warm up

esisco88

Bought my 94 Integra ls back when it was warmer so it didnt faze me at all cause i didnt have to use the heat. Now that its 25 degrees outside i notice i can let me car sit 5-15 minutes no heat on at all then drive almost 10 miles and the heat just reach past the lowest notch. any suggestions as to what it could be?

Ryan659

Thermostat maybe.

I'm assuming you're talking about the car temp and not the actual heater component.

Nick_C78

Yeah, a thermostat thats stuck open takes longer to warm up. Any check engine lights?

esisco88

Yes the car temp not the heater temp. I've changed the thermostat twice thinking I may have got a defective one cause I work at O'rielly auto parts and I've seen it happen I've even flushed my system completely and coolant is full no leaks!

Muckman

Not a M0derator
yeah its bc you're using cheap non oem thermostats. I guarantee you if you use an OEM tstat this problem goes away.

esisco88

No check engine lights and I went to the closest Acura dealer and had them order the oem thermostat this last time and it helped a little bit but not much at all

Nick_C78

Have you felt your top and bottom rad hoses to see if the tstat is opening? Hmmm, when your car is warming up, what RPM is it at?

esisco88

No I haven't felt the hoses but as soon as I start it it jumps to about 1700-2000 rpm and after about 5 minutes depending how cold it is it lowers to 1500 rpm

Murphy

Meat Master
Yeah I changed out my thermostat with a cheap stant from the auto parts store and it didn't work properly at all. Get an oem one or a beck-arnley.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Sounds like you need a leak down test.

If your head gasket is cheap or not a multilayer like it should be. Your engines vacuum line could be pumping into your coolant passages in the block. Shutting the tstat.

Check your hoses, I bet that's the case, and that's the worst case scenario. Had it happen to my other car with a graphite headgasket.

Are your fans oem or on a switch? They could be always on or full speed. Cooling your engine faster than it can warm up.

nayy

Mine use to do that, I thought it was the thermostat(which I ended up replacing anyway) but found out that the radiator had never been flushed before I got the car and it had a muddy build up that pretty much blocked the themo housing and was in the motor behind thermostat, all I did was fill the upper radiator hose with water and blew air into it with pressure and all that mud came out, repeated like 4 times untill it was just water that came out, went ahead and replaced thermostat and put back together, and sure enough it fixed my taking for ever to warm up problem, I would check that out as well

saggy87

Try checking your FITV (Fast Idle Thermal Valve). The coolant lines running into it could be plugged up.