Found a snapping turtle, name suggestions?

CrashBandit

92 GS
Today at the river with my girlfriend and dog, I came upon a 2 inch diameter snapping turtle. Did some research and they take a while to get full grown, about 12-15 inches after several years, so I want to keep it for a while. I need some name suggestions, my girlfriend wants to name him Murtle, but that's gay for a snapper. Texas Pete came to my mind first, don't ask why lol.

Cripton805

I say you should let it go. In your possesion, it won't be anywhere near as happy as it was in the wild. It might die due to stress and won't be very healthy.

Animals taken into captivity rarely do very well.

I worked at a pet store for years.
Your setup will run around $200 to $300 for a decent one.

You need special UV Lighting 5.0 for Vitamin D and special diet with calcium, vitamins, etc...

CrashBandit

92 GS
I don't plan on keeping it forever, records have shown captive Alligator snappers living to 100 years. I work for a Humane Society and can get things for pretty much free, and I've had Iguanas, anoles, geckos, newts, etc before so I don't consider myself inexperienced.. Let's make this clear, this is a short term thing. I'll let the little guy go probably when winter comes this fall, if not sooner.

Just looking for name suggestions.

Cripton805

I don't plan on keeping it forever, records have shown captive Alligator snappers living to 100 years. I work for a Humane Society and can get things for pretty much free, and I've had Iguanas, anoles, geckos, newts, etc before so I don't consider myself inexperienced.. Let's make this clear, this is a short term thing. I'll let the little guy go probably when winter comes this fall, if not sooner.

Just looking for name suggestions.
Relax. As I initially said. "In most cases."
I have owned just about everything.
Tarantulas, Roaches, Scorpions, Boas, Pythons, Saltwater Reef Fish / Corals, Cichlids, Tropical fish, Lizards (Desert and Tropical), and much much more.

Your initial post clearly made it seem like it was a permanent situation since you mentioned "years."
I simply gave you the best advice possible.

Those animals are very different to a wild caught specimen and none of those are remotely difficult to take care of.

CrashBandit

92 GS
Relax. As I initially said. "In most cases."
I have owned just about everything.
Tarantulas, Roaches, Scorpions, Boas, Pythons, Saltwater Reef Fish / Corals, Cichlids, Tropical fish, Lizards (Desert and Tropical), and much much more.

Your initial post clearly made it seem like it was a permanent situation since you mentioned "years."
I simply gave you the best advice possible.

Those animals are very different to a wild caught specimen and none of those are remotely difficult to take care of.
It's all good man, should have been more descriptive. These reptiles are very hardy and require as much maintenance as any aquatic species whether fish, reptiles, or amphibians etc.

Plus who would really want to deal with an 80+lb turtle, that is usually aggressive?

Back to topic, any name ideas?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ my cat's name is Franklin (girlfriend's choice, idk. lmao)

I've never named a turtle before... hmmm......