Frankenstein

JDMb20DC2

You should not be giving advice...
1) Putting a GSR/Type R crank in an LS block de-strokes it...not good
2) LS rods don't work on a GSR/Type R crank.
3) Wiring it up is simple with a jumper harness
4) He doesn't need to waste money on upgrading the fpr, fuel rail, fuel pump, injectors, or the intake mani(the oem units will work just fine)

You keep telling him to do research...maybe you should too.
x2

CokedoutTeg

Thanks for the correction. I was just trying to give IntegraLS an idea. There you go IntegraLS; BrokenTalon27 can help you out better. Thanks Bro.

Thanks for the correction. I was just trying to give IntegraLS an idea. There you go IntegraLS; BrokenTalon27 can help you out better. Thanks Bro.
Giving advice and helping out is great, just make sure you're telling him the right things. No need to get butthurt. It's all in good fun here.

CokedoutTeg

Giving advice and helping out is great, just make sure you're telling him the right things. No need to get butthurt. It's all in good fun here.
No harm no foul... I got a question though. What are the pros if any, of using a type R crank, type R rods and pistons inside an LS block vs the LS crank, LS rods and pistons?

mirrorimg

No harm no foul... I got a question though. What are the pros if any, of using a type R crank, type R rods and pistons inside an LS block vs the LS crank, LS rods and pistons?
There is no benefit. The plus on a LS block is the fact that it has a longer stroke, making more torque.

If you really want to do a proper build, the best thing to do is:

Take a B18C1 block
Put LS crank and rods in it (with ARP rod bolts) or after market rods.
Put ITR, CTR or GSR pistons on it (or after market pistons to match after market rods).

With a B18C1 or B16 head.

This is known as a Poor mans Type R. You get the highest stroke/rod ratio with the higher compression pistons, and better flowing head. And the VTEC block's oil squirters for that high RPM driving, to boot.

I wouldnt say all of the information you provided was wrong, but some of the info was misleading (having to upgrade the valvetrain, putting GSR block internals into the LS). You did mention the GSR tranny (better yet LSD ITR transmission), which is something people often over look.

Antx

I have a similar project now going on.

B18A1 block w/ stock crank
b16a2 head (with valve cover :p)
b16 intake manifold (LS manifold doesnt fit b16/b18c)
b16 22t water pump & timing belt, type-r oil pump
p28 ecu & obd1 harness
golden eagle vtec conversion kit
eagle rods with arp rod bolts