Fuel injector / gas smell troubles

itzrivera

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with my fuel injectors. Heres a bit of background:

Problem started when i got a check engine for a cylinder 1 misfire. Did some research, narrowed it down to being a bad fuel injector. I replaced the injector in cylinder 1 and then had the check engine light cleared. About 300 miles later and still no check engine, so that's all good.

But, the problem is that There is a smell of fuel coming from the bay. When I changed the injector I also changed all the o rings, the rubber cushions, and the grommets for each injector. I originally used autozone o rings, then I decided to go w/ oem dealship o rings and I still have the ordor coming through. Even my mpg are going down. Put in $20 and barely got 80 miles out of it. Yes i did cover the o rings in oil when i replaced them.

any suggestions?

itzrivera

None are leaking. I check around the cushions and it's dry. It smells very strong around the injectors, but I don't know what else to do.

Stfulton

Did you make sure to reset the ecu after replacing cyl 1's injector?

osiris19

You're never supposed to smell gasoline, so you definitely have a leak. Shops have a smoke machine you could maybe ask to use that will find the leak

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Haha man some of these answers don't help :p

I'm just throw rocks in the dark but..

Did you happen to remove the fuel line from the fuel injector rail? Like unbolt the large nut from the fuel rail?

Because if you did I'm pretty sure you lost one of the 2 washers that wedge between the fuel rail, fuel line and nut.

* is the washer I'm talking about.

fuel rail * fuel line * nut

Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to convey while I search for a diagram lol.

itzrivera

Yeah, after I changed the fuel injector I had the ECU cleared. I didn't get a code for about 300 miles, but yesterday I finally got a check engine light. I'll get that read and check it out.

@donjulio I didn't remove the fuel line from the rail so I think I'm good on that end. I'll check it again today when I inspect for any obvious leaks.

itzrivera

Check engine light is back on for a cylinder 1 misfire. I'll probably do plugs and wires today. Hopefully that clears up that misfire. I'm gonna have my brother look at the injectors and make sure I installed them properly. If I keep smelling gas after that I'll look for leaks.

itzrivera

Update: Problem was solved. Injectors were installed correctly. The smell of the gas was coming from the fuel return line underneath.

A quick heads up, the lines that are under the car (fuel and brake lines) get rust pretty easy. If anyone needs to replace them you can buy a fuel line, a flare kit, and some connectors. Just set up the new lines with the connectors and you're good to go.

itzrivera

I bought the lines at Napa. They have a section with lines and with the connectors you'll need. Just make sure you buy the correct size lines.

And to be clear, I didn't replace the entire line. I cut out the section that was leaking and I replaced it with a new section of line.