Fuel pump fried?

SiDream

So there I was, tearing into my car all of my interior out cleaning the carpets the seats etc. To save time on things I was also going to work on while everything was pulled out, I asked my roommate if he knew anything about electrical and wiring and he said yeah, so I asked him to come out and wire in a kill switch while I worked on another one. He connects everything and I didn't double check his work, I start the car, runs fine, I flip the switch it kills it. Everything seems good for about 30 seconds. I flip the switch back, and go to start the car and nothing. So I check his wiring, turns out he wired both the ground and the power wire to the switch instead of keeping it inline with the power wire.

I disconnected everything that was connected to the power and ground, and tried to start again, no soup for me.

Is there a fuse for the fuel pump itself? I looked under the dash at the fuse diagram, and didn't see anything for it, and looked under the hood at the fuse box there, everything seemed fine. I tested continuity from the wires going to the connection to the fuel pump and nothing with the ignition on. So the pump isn't getting power. Where do I look from there?

Note to self, when doing kill switches, never trust anyone else to do it.

Prozon

Kris
The ECU fuse and main relay (fuel pump relay) will both kill the power to the pump. The ECU fuse is under the hood.

SiDream

I'll re-check the fuses under the hood again, do you know if a main relay out of a 91 CRX Si would be compatible with the 93 Teg?

SiDream

Looking at the images on google, they look to be the same, once it becomes daylight out, I'll be able to switch them out and see what happens. If that is not it, I'm not sure where to go from there.

SiDream

Main relay swapped out with a known good main relay. Double checked fuses under the hood.

Nothing.

Still no continuity of power to the fuel pump. No wires were cut in the process of making the kills inline splicers were used, and have been removed. This is driving me nuts now.

Any other suggestions?

SiDream

With the pump disconnected, the fuel gauge zero's out and goes to E with it connected it shows my 1/2 tank of gas. So that part is confusing me. Still not getting anything else, could it be the fuel pump itself is toasted? or could it still be in the electrical?

Bust out the DMM and check the pump.See if it has continuity throughout the circuit.
You need to get continuity to the pump first though. Trace the wire hand over hand and check for damage(burned ir broken areas).

Prozon

Kris
Si-Dream, you're disconnecting the fuel sending unit. The thing under the seat does not have the fuel pump, the fuel pump is in the back of the tank under the car. You have to drop the fuel tank to access it. I think the wires you're unplugging go to the fuel pump for power- but the reason your gauge reads empty is because you are unplugging the sending unit that tells the gauge the fuel level.

SiDream

Si-Dream, you're disconnecting the fuel sending unit. The thing under the seat does not have the fuel pump, the fuel pump is in the back of the tank under the car. You have to drop the fuel tank to access it. I think the wires you're unplugging go to the fuel pump for power- but the reason your gauge reads empty is because you are unplugging the sending unit that tells the gauge the fuel level.
Right, but that would eliminate the relay out? Because if the sending unit is still reading the fuel level, it should be good yes? Here is a picture of the wires I'm talking about. These are testing dead at the plug, I'm still tearing more apart to access the entire wire line, the black/white ground goes behind the car and doesn't follow the yellow/black wire.

SiDream

Found the issue, turns out fuse #24 blew, which is the starter/alternator/solenoid fuse. It looked good until I had pulled each individual fuse out to manually check them.