Fuel pump issue

mendoza

alright guys im in need of your help.

I had a bad cat converter, took it to a shop and put a straight pipe in. ran fine until Friday. i was low on gas and was going somewhere far, so i stopped at costco and got some gas. ( i always get costco's gas ) I had 1/4 gas with unleaded gas, and i ended up putting premium gas on the car. drove fine to where i was going but on the way back my fuel pump shut off. I figured it was my switch because the fuel pump wouldn't turn on so i ran speaker wires from the fuel pump to a fuse in the engine bay, started right up and drove it home... on the way home it started to act up really bad. it felt as if the car was chocking and it would backfire out of nowhere. i instantly thought it was the pipe that was put in because it was 2inches, to match the exhaust.

Saturday morning i rewired a new switch into it. The engine was still backfiring so i decided to take it back to the shop so they could weld a bigger straight pipe in. On my way to the shop, the car completely chocked and wouldn't go anywhere when the gas was pressed. pulled over and shut the car off. Took the car back home( by VERY SLOWLY pressing the gas) and made a hole on the pipe so the pressure would be released but no luck. Then i figured it would be the spark plugs, changed them and still no luck.

Now the car starts up, sometimes it dies after the RPM's settle down. press the gas a little and the car will go fine, but if you press the gas hard the car choke around 4-4.5k and it will just keep going down till a really loud explosion happens or it dies

The only explanation that i can think of is bad fuel pressure/ fuel pump? HELP please

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I would start with a search on fuel pumps to see what the various fixes and checks you can do to determine if its bad.

banadictaustin

I think Check all the grounds just to make sure they are good and tight, I doubt it has anything to do with running the tank low. Remove the fuel line from the carb and add just enough air pressure to the fuel tank to blow fuel out of the hose.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
grounds
fuses
do a valve adjustment for shits and giggles. This sounds like what happened to me.