Fuel,spark but not starting

Dfre88

Hey guys I have a 90 integra witha new b18b1. It has a new alternator,new dizzy,plugs and wires. It drove for 3 days after the motor was put in,I went out to start it for work only to have it idle for a few min then die. Now it cranks but won't start. I've already done the basics with checking for fuel and spark(both of which I'm getting) any help would be appreciated

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
possibly timing if youre positive on getting fuel and spark.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using NetZero.

Nick_C78

So am I getting this right?

You had a new motor put in. Drove it for 3 days. Everything was fine and then it randomly stopped working? When you say you have done the basic tests can you be specific? How exactly did you test if you have fuel? How did you test for spark?

Dfre88

I checked spark by pulling the plugs and putting them back in the wires one at a time then turned the car over,each plug had plenty of spark. For fuel i cracked the fuel line at the filter in the engine bay and turned the igntion on while my buddy confirmed that fuel sprayed through the nut. Aside from turning the dizzy is there another way the timing could be off. And yes it ran and drove for three days before it randomly stopped. I turned on my car to let it warm up,after two min the idle kept dropping until it turned off and now wont start again. Thanks for all the help and could certainly use morw

Nick_C78

So technically you don't know if it is getting fuel. You know fuel is getting up to the injectors, but you don't know if they are spraying. Are you sparkplugs coming out wet? Do they smell like gas?

osiris19

So technically you don't know if it is getting fuel. You know fuel is getting up to the injectors, but you don't know if they are spraying. Are you sparkplugs coming out wet? Do they smell like gas?
This. If the injectors aren't firing, there can be no combustion.

Sent from my Nexus 7

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I'm with everyone else. Check your relays, and check that you're getting fuel at the injectors first. You should check your coil and ICM in your dizzy for s***s and giggles. There's a write-up on how to do that, Google it. I had the same thing happen to me because my coil went bad. I know you said you are getting spark but just check it. Also, check your connections at the fuel pump. Had a car come into the shop on tues, was running then died acting like it had no fuel. We narrowed it down to a bad fuel pump, but when we went to change the pump we realized it was just a loose connection. So test your pump at the pump as well!

Dfre88

Alright ill check all that,as far as fuel to the injectors i am getting it there. I took the fuel rail off,kept the injectors hooked up and turned the engine over to see that they are in fact spraying fuel.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Great, Next test mechanical timing with a simple compression tester. Let us know the results. Then test ignition by using a spark plug tester or grounding the spark plug to the chasis and cranking the starter to see if it fires.

Dfre88

Ill do the compression check tonight after work and as far as the spark plug test ive done that one already

Dfre88

Compression was 150,175,160,170 on my motor, my dad is starting to think the timing is jacked on it

Muckman

Not a M0derator
No thats relatively consistent. If mechanical timing was off a tooth you'd have 2 or 4 extremely low cylinders. <100psi