Fuel spewing from headers! HELP!

travistrouble

I'm having a lot of problems with me and my wifes integra. It's a 98 LS automatic. It's been smoking white out of the exhaust and the smell is of fuel. Under the hood you can see fuel bubble and drip out where the headers meet the block.

The codes that come up when scanned is P1790 and P0700. The previous owner cut the lines leading to the TPS for whatever reason and they're now just electrical taped over the 3 wires. I replaced the TPS a few weeks ago but didn't have it calibrated (I'm still a noob when it comes to mechanical work).

My wife was stubborn and drove the car to work today even though the fuel spilling just started this morning so I'm worried that it could catch on fire.

Please any help with this would be awesome!

travistrouble

I'm wondering if the TPS has a poor connection, could it dump too much fuel into the cylinders? And with it being too much fuel it would leak out of them to escape instead of burning?

And if that were too happen, would that mean the seals are shot?

You guys are the smart ones, I have no idea what is going on with it

mjones73

You really need to fix the wiring to the TPS and calibrate it first.

Still for the motor to be dumping that much gas I'd wonder if you have an injector stuck open...

mirrorimg

I highly doubt it is fuel. It certainly wouldnt bubble out like that where the header meets the head, there is a gasket there to seal the flange.

I would agree that the the TPS issue should be the first thing thats corrected.

Last edited:

travistrouble

I've been out so i'm just now getting your replies. After my wife got off I rode with her in the car to see how it drove and it didn't smoke or anything that it was doing earlier this morning. We drive to Advance Auto Parts to get some butt connectors to fix the TPS wiring and an old guy outside says it looks like it is leaking antifreeze not fuel and that the thermostat is stuck open.

I buy a thermostat and gasket there and the guy said he'd put it in tomorrow because its in the lower end not the upper like most cars so I didn't want to get into that. But, we leave there and go to Walmart (just a few minutes away) and after getting back into the car from Walmart it doesn't start at all. It turns over but doesn't start up.

No matter what's been wrong with it since we've had it, it's never not started. So I'm just beyond pissed because I have no clue now what's going on.

I pulled out the spark plug wires earlier to see if they were wet and none of them were. I didn't check the plugs though. Would the fuel injector have any connection with the white smoke that pours out of the exhaust?

Last edited:

WAR 178

Premium User
i dont think so, but antifreeze will cause white smoke....usually head gasket or cracked head

travistrouble

Is there anything at all that would cause white smoke because I've done every test to check if it's a blown head gasket and I don't see any of the signs. The oil looks perfect, the antifreeze isn't brown, I don't see any leaks under the car, and it has never over heated.

If the thermostat is stuck open, would it dump too much coolant into the car causing it to seep out or burn off causing the smoke?

I don't know much about the thermostat but a mechanic said mine is stuck open.

WAR 178

Premium User
does it idle funny and the heater acts funny at all? if its stuck open i would think it idles fuqqed up...

travistrouble

This morning it was idling really rough but when I got to it later today it was idling fine. So, basically with the cold start the idle was bad and after being warmed it wasn't. The heater seems to work okay but haven't had to use it much the past few weeks because of the weather.

travistrouble

The pressure in the upper radiator hose is really high, thats what signaled the thermostat problem. Could the pressure cause a crack in the block? And could a cracked block cause it not to start?

00tegls

white smoke is the head gasket. and the liquid would be antifreeze. if you like the car id suggest taking it to a shop.