Full Synthetic For GS-R

DjZGFX

Hey guys, I just got a 97 GS-R. 127k miles. Runs perfect, very well maintained.

I was planning on switching over to a full synthetic oil when it's due for an oil change. I'll be changing out the oil pan gasket also as there is a small leak from it.

I wanted to know, do you guys recommend gunk motor flush? Want to do it before switching over.

Also, what's the best weight for the summer and winter? 10w-30 summer 5w-30 winter?

What's the best full synthetic oil? I was planning on running Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic.

Thanks!

Murphy

Meat Master
Use whatever weight it says on the oil cap or manual, I know for the b18-b1 its 5w-30. I use 5w-30 Mobil One fully synthetic for my Gs, but I'm sure any oil is fine so long as its the proper weight.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Hey guys, I just got a 97 GS-R. 127k miles. Runs perfect, very well maintained.

I was planning on switching over to a full synthetic oil when it's due for an oil change. I'll be changing out the oil pan gasket also as there is a small leak from it.

I wanted to know, do you guys recommend gunk motor flush? Want to do it before switching over.

Also, what's the best weight for the summer and winter? 10w-30 summer 5w-30 winter?

What's the best full synthetic oil? I was planning on running Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic.

Thanks!
You don't have to use gunk motor flush when switching from conventional motor oil to full synthetic. Also, once you go full synthetic, you cant go back to conventional oil. Maybe you could use gunk motor flush at that point. I just never went back, once I started using full synthetic

5w30 is what the manual suggests. I would stick with that. If you didn't know, GSR uses 4.2 quarts of oil with filter. LS, GS, RS uses 4 quarts with filter ;)

Now, brand is all about preference. There basically all the same, its a marketing ploy to get you to buy their product. I use Mobil1, but I have also heard people using royal purple.

Good Luck

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I put the same oil in every car out there now, Mobil 1 0w-40. I just switched to using the Mobil 1 filters as well and am now running oil changes to 7500 miles instead of 5000; saves me $50 every two changes.

As for the Gunk, I've never used it, but I won't put anything but oil in an engine. If you're changing the oil when you're supposed to, no "gunk" should be built up anywhere where the oil would be. What gets gunked up is your valves, and that's not really much of a problem on these motors.

Last edited:

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
I put the same oil in every car out there now, Mobil 1 0w-40. I just switched to using the Mobil 1 filters as well and am now running oil changes to 7500 miles instead of 5000; saves me $50 every two changes.

As for the Gunk, I've never used it, but I won't put anything but oil in an engine. If you're changing the oil when you're supposed to, no "gunk" should be built up anywhere where the oil would be. What gets gunked up is your valves, and that's not really much of a problem on these motors.

Out of curiosity, why do you use 0w-40 and all cars?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Out of curiosity, why do you use 0w-40 and all cars?
Manufacturers make general specifications for oil use. They pick oils specs that are widely available, easy to stock at dealers, and cheap enough that they can make money off of. The other side is them using low viscosity oils to maximize gas mileage claims.

Ow-xx oils provide superior lubrication at initial startup especially during cold weather, but in warmer weather they also provide better protection than most 5w because they have been shown again and again to increase viscosity quicker than 5 and 10w oils. All oil sheers down, so after a few hundred miles most 40w (mobil 1 for sure) will end up like a 30w anyway, whereas the 30w will come closer to being a 20w.

And lastly I've been using Mobil 1 because their 0w-40 has the highest zinc and phosphorus levels for any street driven oil. This really helps protects your engine and bearings as an anti-wear agent.

Ganyon

I used to use synthetic. Wen't back to regular oil, but thats because I blow through oil.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
There is a trade off between using a 0w40 vs a 5w30 also and that's cooling efficiency. A 40 weight doesn't flow as freely as a 40 weight causing it to not cool as efficiently. But it protects the bearings on high heat like on track. I personally use it because I never start my car. Maybe drive it once a month to a track and my buddy drives it to Ground Control to get it aligned once a month. It protects the bearings and I've never had an issue with it. Never once burned Mobil 1 in this motor. It's cheap and I like it. I have experienced temps in the 270F range at the filter though.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
There is a trade off between using a 0w40 vs a 5w30 also and that's cooling efficiency. A 40 weight doesn't flow as freely as a 40 weight causing it to not cool as efficiently. But it protects the bearings on high heat like on track. I personally use it because I never start my car. Maybe drive it once a month to a track and my buddy drives it to Ground Control to get it aligned once a month. It protects the bearings and I've never had an issue with it. Never once burned Mobil 1 in this motor. It's cheap and I like it. I have experienced temps in the 270F range at the filter though.
Can you rephrase your statement where I highlighted and underlined? Im confused :lol:

I DD my car, I should be ok with 5w30? That's what I been using, and never heard of using 0w40. Could I go with 5w40 if they make it, or should I stick with what I know and go with 5w30?

Thanks

OneFastGSR

All I've ran in my motor was Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic and when I tore apart my motor. I grabbed a shop towel and some brake cleaner. Pistons and rods were like brand new. The layer of carbon on the top of piston was so small and such little amount whenever I sprayed brake cleaner on it the stuff just came right off and they looked new again. I'll continue to use mobil 1 on my daily drivers etc but i'm moving to brad penn on my teg because it's basically going to be a weekend warrior/race car now

This is what my pistons/rods looked like, About 15-20k miles, All mobil 1 oil. I'm using the same ones but with upgraded wrist pins in new build.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Can you rephrase your statement where I highlighted and underlined? Im confused :lol:

I DD my car, I should be ok with 5w30? That's what I been using, and never heard of using 0w40. Could I go with 5w40 if they make it, or should I stick with what I know and go with 5w30?

Thanks

I mean a 30w flows better. I would just use whatever weight you've been using but go synthetic. There are several reasons I use the oil I do that probably don't apply to your use.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I mean a 30w flows better. I would just use whatever weight you've been using but go synthetic. There are several reasons I use the oil I do that probably don't apply to your use.

I'm not saying anythings wrong with using a 5w-30, but there's nothing wrong with daily driving 0w-40.

All the lab tests are in it's favor, and that MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche, fill their cars up with it should up its credibility.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Manufacturers make general specifications for oil use. They pick oils specs that are widely available, easy to stock at dealers, and cheap enough that they can make money off of. The other side is them using low viscosity oils to maximize gas mileage claims.

Ow-xx oils provide superior lubrication at initial startup especially during cold weather, but in warmer weather they also provide better protection than most 5w because they have been shown again and again to increase viscosity quicker than 5 and 10w oils. All oil sheers down, so after a few hundred miles most 40w (mobil 1 for sure) will end up like a 30w anyway, whereas the 30w will come closer to being a 20w.

And lastly I've been using Mobil 1 because their 0w-40 has the highest zinc and phosphorus levels for any street driven oil. This really helps protects your engine and bearings as an anti-wear agent.
Are you saying, 0w40 is better?

I have been using mobil 1 5w30 on my IS300 and soon will be using mobil 1 5w30 in my integra.