Future Turbo Set Up *opinions*

molezy7

Alright so i have been lookin into what turbo set up to run for sometime now and have somewhat narrowed it down to the full race prostreet stage 2 gt kit. The turbo that it comes with is a gt3037r ballbearing turbo. Im looking for around 330whp+/- DD maybe more on track days, and looking more for response than huge peak power and mainly reliability, is this turbo over kill or is it going to be somewhere in the lines of what im looking for? Im planning on a full build on the motor (guess i should have mentioned this earlier but the motor of choice is a b18c1). Try and bare with me as i am farely new to the FI world but im just trying to make the best decisions. since roughly 300-350 hp is my DD lowboost goal what would i be able to achieve for when i choose to run higher boost. I also need a little help deciding what trim and a/r to run as im kinda of in the dark with this?
As for the motor plans go this is what she looks like so far, feel free to throw oppinions on these parts ive chose

ITR cams
Skunk 2 Cam gears
stock valves?
Skunk2 Valve Springs
Skunk2 Retainers
Port and polished head
Victor X intake manifold (port matched?)
Hondata Intake manifold gasket
larger bore throttle body?
ARP head studs
Crower rods
JE pistons
Golden Eagle Sleeves
stock crank knife edged and balanced
CTR N1 Crank pully
Toda Timing belt
Toda oil pump gear
ITR LSD Tranny
Exedy Clutch and flywheel
beefier axels (driveshaft shop?)
Koyo half rad
FAL electric fan
Cometic Headgasket

any help in guiding me in the right direction would be great, i want to do this right the first time around. Many of you will probably want to know the budget i guess anywhere from 12-$15,000

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
That's a nice turbo but you could get that kind of power out a smaller turbo. The GT3037R is good for 500hp or so

patrick4588

Integra God
setup seems pretty good. you dont necessarily need a throttle body, but if you are doing everything, you might as well do it. id go with whatever size intercooler piping you get. example, if you get 2.5" ic piping, get a 66mm throttle body (which is also the inlet on the victor x). if you go 3", get a 76mm. what clutch are you looking at? i would get at least the stage 4 to make sure it can hold on your track days. you can use a stock crank without having it worked, just send it to get micropolished and balanced. everything else seems pretty good. can i ask why you are going with the toda gear and n1 pulley? a stock pulley and stock oil pump will work nicely. i know you need the toda gear if you run the n1 pulley, but its really not necessary. i would run supertech valvetrain with aluminum retainers since its still your daily driver, the titanium retainers are known for failure on dd's.

molezy7

setup seems pretty good. you dont necessarily need a throttle body, but if you are doing everything, you might as well do it. id go with whatever size intercooler piping you get. example, if you get 2.5" ic piping, get a 66mm throttle body (which is also the inlet on the victor x). if you go 3", get a 76mm. what clutch are you looking at? i would get at least the stage 4 to make sure it can hold on your track days. you can use a stock crank without having it worked, just send it to get micropolished and balanced. everything else seems pretty good. can i ask why you are going with the toda gear and n1 pulley? a stock pulley and stock oil pump will work nicely. i know you need the toda gear if you run the n1 pulley, but its really not necessary. i would run supertech valvetrain with aluminum retainers since its still your daily driver, the titanium retainers are known for failure on dd's.
Yeh i was undecided on the throttle body thats why i threw a question mark besider but thanks for the info on that. as far as the n1 pully i was looking at it because of the weight savings with it but since you brought it up i looked into it a little deeper and am contemplating maybe staying with stock like you said, was just reading a lot of negative feedback about them. For the clutch i was looking at the exedy hyper single clutch, you think that will be able to hold up with this application? Im pretty sure im gunna be going with Hondata s300 for tuning and im still doing more research on the fuel system.

patrick4588

Integra God
hondata s300 is a great tuning program. for fuel system, when you say upgrade, do you mean the fuel system? a lot of ppl say fuel system and just do injectors and a pump. its a lot more than that. to run over 550whp, you really need to get bigger lines and either get dual walbros, or sump the tank and run a single huge pump. problem with the big pumps like the aeromotive and bosch 044 is they are external and arent so great for daily drivers. i am going to run -8an feed line and -6an return line when i do my fuel system in the spring. im going dual walbro's since they are in tank and a lot less of a hassle for a daily driver. that clutch will probably be fine

molezy7

yeh for the fuel system im talkin fuel pump(s), injectors, rail, FPR, didnt know you had to do lines which is gunna probaly gunna be a good chunk of cash. Whats the lifespan of Stainless braided lines i herd its around 2 years before the teflon starts braking down? By the way hows the responce with the gt30r

bump for my 19th birthday, can legally drink now XD

patrick4588

Integra God
legally drink at 19? huh. the gt3076r has great response and is also capable of 500whp. the stainless lines should be good for a while, i wouldnt worry about having to replace them

molezy7

legally drink at 19? huh. the gt3076r has great response and is also capable of 500whp. the stainless lines should be good for a while, i wouldnt worry about having to replace them
k cool i herd they only last 1-2 years dependung on your driving style any wyay im smashed oh and i live in BC canada where the drinking age is 19 but anyway thanks fir the info im goind to pass out!!!!!!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If your ultimate target is 300-350hp then there us no point in getting a GT3037R. Its a great turbo but a little oversized for that application IMO

molezy7

the turbos good for about 480 reliably anymore than that its going to be pushing it a little to much dropping the lifespan of the turbo itself. 330hp+/- is just a top of my head number, ive never owned a high horsepower car so i thought id start with that. I know ill get power hungry and up the boost the longer i drive the car after its done. i want to get to know the power of the car before i start rolling around with 450 hp at my foot daily. Im just trying to keep my options open with the gt30 . The full build is so i can go high boost when i want to and not have to worry about it, it gives me self assurance. Reliability and response is my main goal with this build. What do you guys think about me overboring the block, worth it? or should i just stay with the stock bore?

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
molezy7 said:
the turbos good for about 480 reliably anymore than that its going to be pushing it a little to much dropping the lifespan of the turbo itself.
I'm running an HKS GT3037 Pro S with extrude honed housings at around 500awhp a touch above 70% compressor efficiency.

molezy7 said:
i want to get to know the power of the car before i start rolling around with 450 hp at my foot daily.
I would stick with the GT3037R if you plan on working up to the 450 range