G3 transmission removal

CortezBanks

transmission Removal

Does anyone have any link or know how to remove a transmission. Mine started acting weird and Aamco wants 800 to rebuild. So decided to do it myself

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
I hope you got some time and patients cuz FWD tranny's are a bitch if you don't got a lift.

-jack up the front of the car (both sides)

-your gonna have to take off some suspension pieces, like the strut fork thing, and the upper and lower ball joints

-take off the axle nuts.....i hope you got an impact cuz that bitch is on there tight!

-take out both axles (remember the drivers side has the intermediate shaft), this parts harder then it seems!

-On the drivers side axle, to get it out you got to take off 3 bolts that are holding the intermediate shaft...there a pain and suck to get to!

-get your air box and intake out the way.

-then just start having at it with the bolts and mounts.

-theres about 4-5??? that run across the top of the tranny, under the dizzy. A few others that run along the sides of the tranny (this is pretty self explanatory, just take off the bolts that need to be taken off), also don't forget that theres a bolt on the alternator that runs into the tranny, so you'll have to take that out too.

-Once you get the top bolts, move to the bottom, your gonna have to remove your shift linkage to get it outta the way.

-there should be a plate that covers the back of the flywheel, on the front of the tranny next to the block. Get that outta the way, theres about 6-8 bolts there (small ones)

-then take off the bottom tranny bracket, once thats done you should be pretty close to gettin it off.

-personally I would save the passenger side motor mount for last since its on the top and you don't want to be under your car when that tranny drops.

-Put a jack under the tranny and drop that hoe out. (if it doesn't fall or come out, keep lookin for small missed bolts, it happens, you'll know when you got them all, it will slide right out.)

-Also i forgot to mention you got to unplug a few sensors and take off your slave cylinder.

Get some friends to help you, TRUST me you'll need the help. Be prepared to sweat, be pissed, throw shit, yell, and be at defcon 100....cuz it will get to you, especially if its your first time. Im sure i've missed steps, but what I gave you is a summary of how to do it. Just so you know it sucks ass if you do it on the ground. But good luck and have fun. Also, torque wrench is needed and lots of extensions, remember to torque everything down, don't do it half ass, cuz that's how you break stuff!

If I forgot anything, please add it or just revise what i got to make it sound better. LOL!!!!!

Last edited:

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
your gonna need:

torque wrench (i would say 3/8 dr. that ranges from 15-150 if possible)
ratchet and sockets 3/8 and 1/2 (mm, not standard)
ratchet wrenches are a wonderful invention, if you have them cool, if not it not a big deal.
impact gun
extensions from 3''-10''

Thats pretty much about it.......

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
forgot to add, you need a hammer for those suspension pieces.

DJNAS

HUSTLING FOR A HUSTLER
GOD DAM YOU GOING TO REBULID YOUR TRANNY YOUR SELF ...GOOOD LUCK ....LOL WHEN YOU DONE I GOT ANOTHER ONE FOR YOU TO REBULID FOR ME :p

acurals209

SYNDICATE 4 EVR
Dammm Ur A Brave Man To Go In There With No Clue But Sound Like Me When I Did My First Tranny I Whent To The Local Auto Store And Bought The Book That Had The Integra Motor That I Was Working On I Forget The Name Of The Book But It Tell U Step By Step And Bolt By Bolt Ho To Remove Anything In Ur Car When I Get Home Ill Shoot U Over The Name And That Sucks U Have To Work On It Ur Self U Will Need A Friend To Help U Trust Me Plus If U Were Near Me Id Help U Out Ive Done This More Than Once Now So I Know Its A Bitch

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
I agree, good luck, especially if this is your 1st time. You picked a hell of a task for a 1st, tranny work is easily the hardest work, atleast to me it is, that anyone can do. But if you got it down, you can make some serious cash!!!!! :shock: :)

CortezBanks

OK sorry about that..im not gonna rebuild my tranny just replace it. It would be way too much to rebuild it. im getting a new one and just replacing it

SlammedCivic

integra4life29 said:
I hope you got some time and patients cuz FWD tranny's are a bitch if you don't got a lift.

-jack up the front of the car (both sides)

-your gonna have to take off some suspension pieces, like the strut fork thing, and the upper and lower ball joints

-take off the axle nuts.....i hope you got an impact cuz that bitch is on there tight!

-take out both axles (remember the drivers side has the intermediate shaft), this parts harder then it seems!

-On the drivers side axle, to get it out you got to take off 3 bolts that are holding the intermediate shaft...there a pain and suck to get to!

-get your air box and intake out the way.

-then just start having at it with the bolts and mounts.

-theres about 4-5??? that run across the top of the tranny, under the dizzy. A few others that run along the sides of the tranny (this is pretty self explanatory, just take off the bolts that need to be taken off), also don't forget that theres a bolt on the alternator that runs into the tranny, so you'll have to take that out too.

-Once you get the top bolts, move to the bottom, your gonna have to remove your shift linkage to get it outta the way.

-there should be a plate that covers the back of the flywheel, on the front of the tranny next to the block. Get that outta the way, theres about 6-8 bolts there (small ones)

-then take off the bottom tranny bracket, once thats done you should be pretty close to gettin it off.

-personally I would save the passenger side motor mount for last since its on the top and you don't want to be under your car when that tranny drops.

-Put a jack under the tranny and drop that hoe out. (if it doesn't fall or come out, keep lookin for small missed bolts, it happens, you'll know when you got them all, it will slide right out.)

-Also i forgot to mention you got to unplug a few sensors and take off your slave cylinder.

Get some friends to help you, TRUST me you'll need the help. Be prepared to sweat, be pissed, throw shit, yell, and be at defcon 100....cuz it will get to you, especially if its your first time. Im sure i've missed steps, but what I gave you is a summary of how to do it. Just so you know it sucks ass if you do it on the ground. But good luck and have fun. Also, torque wrench is needed and lots of extensions, remember to torque everything down, don't do it half ass, cuz that's how you break stuff!

If I forgot anything, please add it or just revise what i got to make it sound better. LOL!!!!!
Good info...but don't forget to remove the starter, the lower bolt holds the tranny to the block as well :thumbs up

jdm jon

nice write up...im acually in the process of taking out my b16 trans and swapping it with my new ITR trans and new clutch....though i allready got stuck on the driverside axle nut...lately i been only working on it on the nicer days since we have a super low windchill...

wish me luck.

crashtestracer

where did you get your ITR trans? I was pulling mine to replace what I thought was a throwout bearing and when I drained the trans there were metal flakes and a 1cm chunk in it soI think I may need a new trans and I am thinking an ITR would be a nice upgrade