Gap for spark plugs

JDM_DB7sedan

Run ur car NOT ur mouth!
I just got a sweet set of Iridium 9mm wires and NGK iridium plugs. Whats the gap for the plugs for a 98 GSR?

graveyardhippie

from ngk

Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.
This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.

JDM_DB7sedan

Run ur car NOT ur mouth!
from ngk

Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.
This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.

hey thanks man. im glad u wrote that. i was about to call autozone and ask if they knew what gap i needed.

nitrogen

Well this thread was a big old, but for those dropping plugs and needing to regap it's 0.044" and for us normal metric folk ;) 1.1mm

nitrogen

Cool to clarify: 1998 GSR

Patrick's gap for plugs like Autolite XP Iridium or Double Platinum and base NGK Iridiums and IX's

The quoted .044" is for Denso double platinum and Iridium plugs