Gas Consumption and map sensor problems

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
OK.. so my b18b1 that i swapped into my civic is getting just under 14 mpg. I just cleaned my IACV and I replaced my map sensor... unhooked the battery to reset it. but when running I unplugged the map and it changed nothing. tps killed it IACV changed it but map does nothing (almost kills my friends teggy when you unplug the map) Do i have a faulty map? could it be good and something else causing it to have no effect? and cause fuel consumption to be so high?

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
the cel is on but i dont know how to check it? its a 93 civic body... How do you check the codes on pre 95s?

sps21112

Pull the code from the ecu. it will tell you exactly whats wrong. find the
small two-pin plug under the dashboard, at the bottom right behind the glove
box. Grab a paperclip, bend it and "jump" the two pins (holes) in the plug.
Then turn on your ignotion, (don't start the engine) and your check engine
light will flash a code. Long "on" means first digit, short "on" means
second digits.

eg. long-long...[pause]... short-short-short-short...[pause]...[repeat].
= CODE 24.

Then look it up in a manual or on the net, or let us know here, and I'm sure
someone can tell ya...

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Thanks a lot! thats awesome... i never knew that haha i tried to rep you but it said i already did not long ago... means you should stick around cuz your so helpful!

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
cel codes

throwing codes 5-map sensor (which i just changed so it shouldn't have a problem) 7-tps sensor (strange) 9-cyp (cylinder sensor) 10-IAT(intake air temp) and 65(secondary o2 sensor heater)

I dont even have the evap system hooked up and its throwing no codes... strange.

If anyone knows what and where any of these are (except the first two) please let me know. ( is the secondary o2 sensor heater the one by the cat?)

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Interesting issues.... messing around with it i discovered i had two map sensors... one on the manifold and one next to the fuel filter. unplugged both and left the one originally on the intake unplugged and plugged the harness from the map next to the fuel filter into the manifold map. this changed things. before my car would idle like crap (really low revs) when i first started it then after about a minute it would run normally... now to see if it fixed my fuel consumption problem... the car seems to run better when driving too.