Gas leak and idle problem

89coupeJ

Hi guys i just bought a 89 teggy Ls 1.4 and it smells like gas and leaks from them rear left whats my problem and how do i fix this?

I also have an idle at 3000 rpms i dont even have an idle screw whats the screw i need and where can i find it?

Thank you
Jason

graveyardhippie

3000 idle may be a vacuum leak. do you have a chk eng light? and do yourself a favor and dont look for an idle screw. you don't wanna mess with the tb. gas at the rear may be a gas line leak. trace the line, use a lighter if you want to find it quickly. (please dont really do that)

enoch723

If you take the back seat out, there will be a cirlular plate that has a weird screw top on it. Tighten it down. Typically they were too lazy to tighten it down all the way when they were changing the fuel pump. And I am not sure why people thought taking the throttle screw out is a good idea, but your not the only one(mine didnt have one when I got it either) But I have a throttle body with a idle screw in it for sale if you wanted to give it a try

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1.4L?

Left rear is where the fuel lines run up to the tank. They are exposed to water/salt from the left rear tire and tend to rust there. My bet is they are rusted out. You can try to cut out the rusted section of tubing and replace it with a section of rubber hose and hose clamps. Its hack but the alternative is to replace the entire line or rebuild it/reflare the ends.

The high idle is unrelated and has already been addressed above. Good luck!.

swilk

Mine was giving me a hunting idle for months before i figured it out, My throttle screw was missing the rubber O-Ring and I didn't even know it. Cost more than I wanted but I was able to get a perfect new one from honda themselves for like 12 bucks. Fixed it right up.