gears 2-3 synchronizer

Sbkurtz

I just bought a 1996 Integra Special Edition, and I'm noticing when I go from 2nd to 3rd gear, there is a subtle crunching sound, but it's not grinding. Is the synchronizer going bad, and if so how much is it to fix?

TehTeg

NooB
mine does the exact same thing, does it only do it when you attempt to shift above 3 grand? but if you do it slowly it wont grind?

Sbkurtz

I haven't tested that yet, so I'll see if that holds true. I wouldn't say it's grinding gears, it's just a slight crunching sound, that's how I can best describe it. Plus I heard that the synchronizers are a big problem in these cars, that's what's making me think that's the issue.

TehTeg

NooB
yea i see what your saying, Ive read on another forum or maybe even this one..that using GM Synchromesh tranny fluid takes care of the crunching..its probably not permanent but it works (so ive heard)

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
yea i see what your saying, Ive read on another forum or maybe even this one..that using GM Synchromesh tranny fluid takes care of the crunching..its probably not permanent but it works (so ive heard)
It is GM Synchromesh Friction Modified which helps with worn synchros. Regular GM Synchromesh is not the same thing.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
The infamous Honda 3rd gear grind... Get the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified just like dc2GS-R (Kyle) said.

HemiMuscle

You can drive it shouldn't cause any problems but as it wears you will need to get it fixed sooner or later..