Getting fuel and spark but still wont start, Help

evilminion88

I ate the bones
I pull into work one morning and right as I get in my parking spot (shortly after getting a full tank of gas) my 90 integra idled up and down (between 500-1000rpm) and just died. It didn't want to start after that, it will just crank but wont run. I turn the ignition switch and the main relay clicks 3 times with the "check engine light" turning on then off like normal so I know its not the main relay. lights radio and all assesories work just fine. I have an Odessy dry cell racing battery. I'm a technician working at a Nissan dealership so some buddies of mine pushed it into the shop. Took out all spark plugs and they are drenched in fuel, not fouled out with carbon deposits, and you can just smell alot of gas after every time I try to start it, so I'm getting fuel. The fuel pump is working properly. The spark plug wires were replaced about 2 months ago. I noticed my cap was cracked and my rotor was fucked so I got a new cap and rotor and it still wont start, but is still getting spark to the plugs. Some of the seasoned techs say it may be the ignitor in the Dizzy. So I just said "fuck it" and got a new distributor (seeing it was the original dizzy my teg came with that has 350k miles on it). Still no luck. I'm surrounded by Nissan techs with little knowledge of Hondas so I wanted all yours opinion. Could my timing be off due to the belt jumping a tooth or 2, causing it not to start? Altenator, fuel filter, compression? My Teg is stuck at my shop right now. This just suddenly happened with no warning

Last edited:

Jabes

id check for compression if its the original motor and also check the timing by seeing if when you line the crank pulley up with the line on the timing belt cover and then line on the crank pulley, if the marks on the cam gears arent in the right place then your timing belt skipped a tooth

Prozon

Kris
Had the same problem in a Honda Accord.. we replaced the cap, rotor, distributor, spark plugs, and wires. And it still didn't start, it just randomly did another time when we were working on it lol.

Change the spark plugs, cross your fingers? :D

evilminion88

I ate the bones
I was thinking it may be the compression but if it was would it suddenly give out like that with no warning, without showing signs in declining performance? I'll try to find a compression tester around my shop tomorrow. I just hope the rings aren't toast. I'lll check that timing tomorrow, and the spark plugs aren't to bad looking, but replacing them isn't a bad idea. This is really frustrating though. I thought for sure it was the distributor. I also have an exhaust leak at the point where the header bolts to the head (stud broke). I don't think that'll cause it not to start but I know that needs to be fixed. Could this be caused by my altinator though?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
You have spark and you have fuel so that isnt the problem... Sounds like your timing is off for whatever reason. Timing belt or the distributor isnt in the right position. Let us know what you find tomorrow! -Aaron

emd513

timing is off. it can be as easy as turning your car off trying to start it or just idleing the car for it to jump. once it has it wont run. your going to have to pull the cover off and just reset it to make sure. if that doesnt work then your motor is fried. and i meant that when it went you bent the valves our something in that matter to where your not going to get compression so that it will run.i hope it works for you

Prozon

Kris
Emd513, your motor isn't "fried" if it won't start with correct timing.
I would say timing, but usually it has to jump TWO teeth to not run, and that is possible. Everything i've seen with ONE tooth off has run, poorly..

However, I just dealt with a Honda Accord that wouldn't run. Spark and Fuel. Timing was good. Replaced distributor, which didn't do anything. Wires and plugs I would think is what helped. Can't really be sure though because after all the parts it just randomly started lol.

emd513

he could have fries it if the timing jumped and the valves bent. thats what i was saying. if the valves have bent and your off timing is off they will be hitting the piston and you might not even here it but it will be damaging the seats as well as weakening the piston which will make it explode like my chevy small block 350 motor did cause of that.

kfed

I had a auto part store give me a defective alternator. (just throwing this out)

A person had spark, fuel, and of course air. The car didn't start. This person checked and double checked everything, but the person didn't think about the alternator. When this person saw the alternator, it looked like crap so he changed it and his car worked. How is your alternator and connections? Is it an automatic?

Soy-tu-Papii

this happen to me the second day i had my da (rpm dropped and car died ) i thought it was the fuel pump but i was wrong

went through a bunch of bs trying to figure it out

turned out it was the dizz so i replace it (new dizzy) still wasnt workin
so i open the dizzy and the black and yelllow wire wasnt even connected on the ignition coil
so i connected it

car turned on right away

open your dizzy (remove rotor) and make sure all the wires are connected

:lol:

Prozon

Kris
A car will run without an alternator. Up until the battery dies. All an alternator does is keep the battery charged, nothing else. If you had a magic battery that would never lose power, you would have absolutely no use for an alternator.

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Well, I did a fuel pressure test and got 35psi after the fuel filter (specs are suppose to be 40psi, but close enough, not low enough for it to not start). I then did a compression test and Honda specs for comp are 135-185psi for each cylinder. My car only got 90-110 psi in every cyl. so now it leaves only 2 possibilities, my timing did jump, or my rings are fucked and the engine is done for. I don't think the rings are bad though cus my car has never smoked. No white, black, or blue smoke has every come out of my exhaust, and my car runs great, I don't dog on it or race it, I take it easy on the engine (cus its the original engine with 350,000 miles on it, with a rebuilt head). Sure the rings being bad is a big possibility seeing how old it is but it doesn't run like shit, like an engine on its last leg. Bad engines with fucked up rings and valves still can drive, and drive like shit. I see it everyday. I tried spraying starter fluid into the intake to see if it will at least fire or something and it still just cranked, not even back fire. O and i'm on my second Dizzy cus the first one Orilly's got me had a bad coil in it, thats Orilly's for you lol But I'm really sure its jumped timing. I'll check today at work. O and its a 5 speed if anyone is wondering. :)

Jfrench31

Check the 4 little ground wires under or around the thermostat housing I had to cut splice and extend them

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Check the 4 little ground wires under or around the thermostat housing I had to cut splice and extend them
While we thank you for your suggestion, I noticed you are new and as a heads up, a lot of people will write mean things to you when you "revive" a 5-year old thread :)
- Aaron