Going from Grandpa Shifter To Skunk2

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
So I was really sick of looking at my 2nd Gen shifter. I put it in there for S & G. My girlfriend called it the "Grandpa Shifter" due to the huge number.

So I went out and get a used Skunk2 dual bend and a brand new knob. I wasn't looking to make a "how to" thread but I did snap a few before and after shots. This should help people make up their mind if they are thinking of going with the weighted Skunk2 short shifter.

This is what my setup looked like:

So that had to change.

I went out and got this:

Before I bought the Skunk2, I wanted to see what the difference was between OEM and Skunk2 as far as throw and height. Couldn't find anything, so here it is (I lined them up at the pivotal point so you can not only see how much shorter the Skunk2 one is but also how much more throw it has):

And with the knobs (I used the normal 3rd gen shift knob for this shot):

After installing the new one, this is how it looks:

I took it for a quick test drive and I'm very pleased. It's way more comfortable and the fact that it's weighted makes shifting feel a while lot better.

I hope this helps anyone that is on the fence about getting a new shifter.

Now it's time to clean my car finally!! I know, it's a mess but oh well.

Last edited:

kolya

This is great!! Thanks for the review I was having a hard time deciding, it helped a lot!

Last edited:

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
If you want to fix that saggin boot you can put a zip tie under the top ring of the boot and it holds it up. I had to do it when I went from oem shifter to my spoon duracon.

rockadilla

thats right.
Is there really that much difference between the stock and the skunk2 one? I was think about buying a new shifter but I don't know if itd be worth the money, cuz I'm poor as hell and don't wanna waste any lol

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Is there really that much difference between the stock and the skunk2 one? I was think about buying a new shifter but I don't know if itd be worth the money, cuz I'm poor as hell and don't wanna waste any lol
i find it harder to get into gears when i drive a car with one.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
If you want to fix that saggin boot you can put a zip tie under the top ring of the boot and it holds it up. I had to do it when I went from oem shifter to my spoon duracon.
Thanks for the info but I kind of like the fact that you can see the Skunk2 logo on the shifter :D I like how it looks.

There is a difference, but maybe it would be smarter to keep the $200 for oil changes and gas. Maybe some groceries wouldn't be that bad of an idea either. Getting a new shifter should be way down on the list for sure. Once you get some extra cash then it's a nice present though.

just get the ebay one it is the exact same as the skunk 2 just without the laser etched emblem and i'm pretty sure it's 12 bucks lol and no it's not crap i've been rockin mine for almost 2 years now and it's doing just fine :)