going to start a D16/Vtec build.

awright3331

G1 TEG
Ok you guys please dont be critical, I have NEVER built an engine before(BUT please tell me if this would be ricer status) No it wont be going into my teg, im keeping my teg original(motor wise)

First off i do not know if I will get a D16, or a VTEC block this is why im posting this thread so that I can get the help I need to proceed

Heres my list

L3 Cable transmission with 3rd gen accord 5th gear swap
Sleeved engine block with forged rods and pistons
ZC cams w/ A&M adjustable cam gears
7psi turbo(What kind of wastegate should I get?)
OBD1 system(Or should i go OBD2 whats best?)
A&M Cold air intake
440cc injectors
High volume fuel pump & filter
Short throw gear shifter
Dual cat back exhaust custom built with magnaflow cats and magnaflow mufflers with 2.5" outlets
Mishimoto cooling system
70mm throttle body
Competition Clutch Stage 4 - Strip Series - 6 Pad Ceramic

As for suspension im thinking Koni Sport series shocks.

Like I said this stuff isnt going into my teg. It will probably go into a CRX or a civic.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Find out what motor you want and what year and what car it came out of. Find the factory service manual for that car and use the torque specs.

Send your bottom tot he machine shop with crank, and rods and have them measure clearences and get the proper bearings. Also go and get new rod bolts, head studs and OEM gaskets. Studs and bolts can be ARP. Also take bore your cylinder at least .25mm over and use oem gaskets and stuff.

resurface the head and block

that is my advice.

awright3331

G1 TEG
Find out what motor you want and what year and what car it came out of. Find the factory service manual for that car and use the torque specs.

Send your bottom tot he machine shop with crank, and rods and have them measure clearences and get the proper bearings. Also go and get new rod bolts, head studs and OEM gaskets. Studs and bolts can be ARP. Also take bore your cylinder at least .25mm over and use oem gaskets and stuff.

resurface the head and block

that is my advice.
Im thinking the Vtec out of a prelude that i found in my local junk yard..I can get the block for 140 bucks

enoch723

Why not just swap a k16?

ROFL.

You might want to clarify what d16 you mean to build cause in my personal opinion you would be best off building either the A1 or the Y6. The A1 you would have to find a vtec head and go from there with your norma plans but the Y6 is already vtec and has a s*** load of aftermarket parts but sadly is a single cam

I think you need to ask yourself before you start though.. WHY do you want to build a d series. Not putting them down, I have a d16a1 in both my cars, they just only ever get built because there easy. If you want more power then just find a b16 or b18 or if you want to go crazy swap in a k20. Lol.

Last edited:

awright3331

G1 TEG
ROFL.

You might want to clarify what d16 you mean to build cause in my personal opinion you would be best off building either the A1 or the Y6. The A1 you would have to find a vtec head and go from there with your norma plans but the Y6 is already vtec and has a s*** load of aftermarket parts but sadly is a single cam

I think you need to ask yourself before you start though.. WHY do you want to build a d series. Not putting them down, I have a d16a1 in both my cars, they just only ever get built because there easy. If you want more power then just find a b16 or b18 or if you want to go crazy swap in a k20. Lol.
Well i figured the a1. Easy to find the block, already have some knowledge on it, plus i have an service manual that covers it, plus you said they are easy, having never done this before, i feel as though i could do this and m my step dad having done this can help me with any thing I'm doing wrong. Its one thing to talk about it, but i actually am going to follow through with it. I'm not looking for the kind of power that your talking about. What i get from what i put in is staying a mystery until the dyno i don't want to know what I'm going to have. The only thing I'm going to look at is how it runs when I'm done

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk HD

enoch723

Well i figured the a1. Easy to find the block, already have some knowledge on it, plus i have an service manual that covers it, plus you said they are easy, having never done this before, i feel as though i could do this and m my step dad having done this can help me with any thing I'm doing wrong. Its one thing to talk about it, but i actually am going to follow through with it. I'm not looking for the kind of power that your talking about. What i get from what i put in is staying a mystery until the dyno i don't want to know what I'm going to have. The only thing I'm going to look at is how it runs when I'm done

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk HD
Take my advice and build something else other then the d16a1. It isnt exactly easy to build unless you have the resources and even then there isnt much options of things you can do. Even with a good boost, your only going to be pushing around 200hp.

I just ment d series in general are easy to modify. But the A1 is at the bottom of the barrel. Really the only thing you could do is put zc cams, block, valves and a custom exhaust which is what I have done with both of mine and im only pushing 120 if im lucky.

Not saying you cant build one but it takes awhile to get the parts needed at once your done its really not worth it. Only reason I did it was I am able to get certain parts for really cheap. I paid a little over 2000 in total for my civic build and thats including the price of the car, suspension, swap and parts

And when your building any engine its good to have an idea of what kind of power your trying to put out. Saves you money and helps you figure out what you need and what you dont other wise its just a never ending story