Going to the dark side...(-_-)

unvmy98ls

"Lucid Dreamin"
***Sorry if this is in the wrong section*** Feel free to move it.

Hey guys, I have been gone for about a month in a half and I have decided to cross over... I no longer want to go NA... I am going turbo... I didn't want to but that was until I got into a turboed car. I don't wanna race but the sound and feel was nice.

now onto business. I have a 1990 DA9 and I need help deciding on a Turbo charger and a good setup for making 300hp. I don't want to run a lot of boost but not a little amount of boost. I don't know if a BB turbo is necessary but I want a good reliable turbo, What coolors are you guys using and such. I have the OG b18 in the DA with 214XXX. I don't want to know what is best. I want to know what you guys are using and how well it is working out.

I plan on engine swap too so feel free to go crazy with recomends. My money is kinda tight right now as I am buying recording stuff and I had to drop down to part time so I can write music but about 400/month is what I have left over and I can save. Thanks guys.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well either rebuild the B18A1 or maybe do a B1 swap for starters (just thinking on a budget for you lol). There are a lot of turbo kits out there; I'd look into using a gt28 or a t3/t4 - it seems to me a lot of guys in the 300's are using hybrids like this, somewhere around a 60 trim. The gt28 is a little small for 300hp but it spools pretty quickly, which is a plus. You could always jack a turbo from a junked car, like an STI or something as well. Then you gotta worry about engine management. Hondata and Crome are popular; the AEM EMS full standalone is nice too. It all depends how much $$ you wanna drop.

unvmy98ls

"Lucid Dreamin"
I am only part time for a few months. Then I will be able to spend a lot more. Thank a lot for the info. I will research them. ok so would you recommend a B1 over a C1

I am only part time for a few months. Then I will be able to spend a lot more. Thank a lot for the info. I will research them. ok so would you recommend a B1 over a C1
C1 over B1 if you can afford it. Just don't boost a C5.
As far as cooling off that charge air, go with an air to water intercooler. I love those things. Quite stealthy:D

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I've been contemplating boost myself, but there's so much involved. I have a 205k mile engine so I kinda wanna get another B series and rebuild it then swap before boosting. The next thing is do I wanna turbo a frankenstein motor or not? lol, I'm not doin anything though til I'm out of school or win the lottery/get with a rich cougar [LOL], in which case I might just buy another car and rebuild the b18a sittin in the car right now.

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
C1 over B1 if you can afford it. Just don't boost a C5.
As far as cooling off that charge air, go with an air to water intercooler. I love those things. Quite stealthy:D
I believe an air to water intercooler is more efficient if you pour in ice cold water at the track.Otherwise it would be just the same tempeture as the outside temp is if not lower if you were driving it on the street.So it would be better to get an air to air intercooler too cool off the charged air since its a DD or no?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I believe an air to water intercooler is more efficient if you pour in ice cold water at the track.Otherwise it would be just the same tempeture as the outside temp is if not lower if you were driving it on the street.So it would be better to get an air to air intercooler too cool off the charged air since its a DD or no?
ive seen alot of the musclecar people doing the ice in the intercoolers

I don't know all the workings of the system, but I don't think its like that. I know a guy back in Va that runs a PWR Air to water intercooler ona daily driven DSM.
I love how stealth it is. You don't have a huige ic core in your front bumper alerting thieves to steal your shit from the McD's parking lot.-

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
I don't know all the workings of the system, but I don't think its like that. I know a guy back in Va that runs a PWR Air to water intercooler ona daily driven DSM.
I love how stealth it is. You don't have a huige ic core in your front bumper alerting thieves to steal your shit from the McD's parking lot.-
Its not a bad system.You could use it on a dd its fine.Just think it would be more benificial using air-air.But yea its a plus on the stealth part.

unvmy98ls

"Lucid Dreamin"
Yeah DD sorry for not mentioning that and stealth sounds better to me. I want this thing to be clean and look like something that is just a plain DD. so Water to air is stealthier? is it smaller?

Last edited:

unvmy98ls

"Lucid Dreamin"
Any one have pics of water to air installed in DA? I can't find any. and should I wait to buy a distributor or should I just buy one to get the car on the road My dizzy is out btw.
I want to go GSR turbo but if I have to I can build a B1 I just like vtec and I havent had a vtec car since my
EM1. Do you even hear vtec with a turbo? What do I need to do with internals for turbo build of 300?

Thanks guys