Good morning racers!

gsr_nikhil

Hello everyone. Hope you're having a great day! I know I am as I woke up to a fat tax return in my bank account :)
Just had a few questions about my next upgrade(s). First off, I'd like to purchase a 22mm sway bar/endlink/brace combo, most likely from jhpusa.com and I wanna know your opinion on that I.e. how big of a difference did it make on track? I would like to reduce as much understeer as possible and hoping this will help. Second, I've been looking for new front seats for like 2 years and haven't found shit. I decided I want to go with a bucket seat to hold me in place for my next event (a month away). My question is, is it possible to SAFELY use my stock seat belt with a bucket seat? Google searches tell me one thing then another. Follow up question: do I have to get a roll cage to use a harness? Or can I use my rear seat belt anchors or something? I have zero knowledge on safety equipment so please enlighten me! Thanks in advance!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=86921

We have a safety thread there.

Understeer can be eliminated with driver skill. Sway bars help, but only if you set them up right. I run JDM ITR with them in the neutral position, sway bar set up. My car rotates super well. JDMxDB8 has seen me get it to rotate (but lose it) around a corner. FF cars you should be able to steer with your front pedal and by doing so you can get rid of understeer i find.

Seats -
YOU NEED A CAGE IF YOU DO A BUCKET SEAT

Harness should be a 5 point or 6 point ONLY with a bucket seat. 4 points ride up and can cause internal damage in an accident.

I suggest you spend money on car set up, coils, sway bars, etc.

and seat time.

feel free to PM me if you want.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=86921

We have a safety thread there.

Understeer can be eliminated with driver skill. Sway bars help, but only if you set them up right. I run JDM ITR with them in the neutral position, sway bar set up. My car rotates super well. JDMxDB8 has seen me get it to rotate (but lose it) around a corner. FF cars you should be able to steer with your front pedal and by doing so you can get rid of understeer i find.

Seats -
YOU NEED A CAGE IF YOU DO A BUCKET SEAT

Harness should be a 5 point or 6 point ONLY with a bucket seat. 4 points ride up and can cause internal damage in an accident.

I suggest you spend money on car set up, coils, sway bars, etc.

and seat time.

feel free to PM me if you want.
Why do you need a cage if you have a bucket seat?

Nick_C78

And if you roll your car over and you are fixed in the upright position you die. Dylans right on all accounts in his post.

You can control understeer and oversteer with the throttle. Lifting mid corner causes the rear to rotate, especially with the right wheel alignment

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Why do you need a cage if you have a bucket seat?
when you roll over your head is now supporting the weight of the car which means you crush your spine.

Its to secure the harness properly
You dont need a roll cage to secure the harnesses. FIA does not specifically say you need a roll cage to attach a harness to. SCCA and NASA i think do.

And if you roll your car over and you are fixed in the upright position you die. Dylans right on all accounts in his post.

You can control understeer and oversteer with the throttle. Lifting mid corner causes the rear to rotate, especially with the right wheel alignment
Yup, and you can do the same with braking, i can get the car to rotate on braking to get rid of understeer.

I havent driven other people's cars but I have been told my car is set up really really well.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Left foot braking is a huge help to counter understeer in a fwd car. It also helps induce oversteer at higher speeds that can help with rotation.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
when you roll over your head is now supporting the weight of the car which means you crush your spine.

You dont need a roll cage to secure the harnesses. FIA does not specifically say you need a roll cage to attach a harness to. SCCA and NASA i think do.

Yup, and you can do the same with braking, i can get the car to rotate on braking to get rid of understeer.

I havent driven other people's cars but I have been told my car is set up really really well.
Soooo that wouldn't happen if you had a regular stock seat??

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Stock seats are made to collapse.

You're also not strapped against the seat so you're able to fold over if pushed from the top.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Stock seats are made to collapse.

You're also not strapped against the seat so you're able to fold over if pushed from the top.
Correct. Since you aren't strapped in an upright position you won't get squished. You will get banged up, but you won't crush your skull/spine.

Spitfire8o5

Track Junkie
All these dudes nailed it. OEM 3pt is a big no no for bucket seats. And bucket seat without a Rollbar is also a red flag unless you live in japan and want to go fast and willing to pay the price lol (they don't make them there)

As far as the sway bar. I wouldn't make it a priority to get out on the track. Like they mentioned above there are plenty ways around under steer like driving inputs and alignments. Tire pressure and suspension preload can also get you where you want.

Get out to the track and just go from there man. I'm sure you'd love better tires and brakes instead if you already have Coilovers

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Never experimented with that.
I used it here and there with rwd cars before, but wasn't really well coordinated with it. I started using it a lot with the MS3 cause the fastest guys were preaching it all the time. It made a big difference in times even half assing it like I prob was.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
All these dudes nailed it. OEM 3pt is a big no no for bucket seats. And bucket seat without a Rollbar is also a red flag unless you live in japan and want to go fast and willing to pay the price lol (they don't make them there)

As far as the sway bar. I wouldn't make it a priority to get out on the track. Like they mentioned above there are plenty ways around under steer like driving inputs and alignments. Tire pressure and suspension preload can also get you where you want.

Get out to the track and just go from there man. I'm sure you'd love better tires and brakes instead if you already have Coilovers
x2.

Brakes, fluids, tires and seat time are very important.

Dont just jump to R comps. They really really really limit your learning as they will mask weak points in your technique. Go with a solid street tire, like BFG Rival, RS3 or something comprable. Sway bars you can add later, seat time is way more important.